Any setting -out engineers out there?

gareth29

I've been teaching maths for a number of years but I'm now looking to do setting out during school holidays/quiet periods. Its been about 20 years since I've done any, but I have got a reasonable amount of total station experience.

I dont know anyone in the industry anymore and would like a clue as to whats changed.

cheers

Yea it's changed a lot since I started ... GPS is the thing now plus one man operation, remote from the instrument ... not sure I could cope these days so I pay someone else to do it

if you need someone...... see above... :lol:

What is setting out?!

On a construction or civil engineering project, the setting out engineers control the dimensional accuracy of the works - so any steel, concrete or earthworks is in the corrrect position (hence gps) and is the correct shape.

To give a car analogy, the engineer creates the "jig" for the construction of the building (or whatever). On the cross rail project in London setting out engineers ensure that the tunnels thread accurately through the existing tube network and all the other stuff that buried beneath the streets.

What is setting out?!

On a construction or civil engineering project, the setting out engineers control the dimensional accuracy of the works - so any steel, concrete or earthworks is in the corrrect position (hence gps) and is the correct shape.

To give a car analogy, the engineer creates the "jig" for the construction of the building (or whatever). On the cross rail project in London setting out engineers ensure that the tunnels thread accurately through the existing tube network and all the other stuff that buried beneath the streets.

Eye of a needle stuff right there