Jag XK series 06 on, opinions?

Zeezeebaba

I'm having some knee trouble on my clutch leg so I was considering one of these as the sequential boxes are supposed to be fairly good. Refined and fully auto when just cruising from A to B etc.I adore the Ian Callum Astonesque design.

I've been doing my research on the 4.2 R's and I've also had a lengthy test drive in my neighbours, really good comfy car (even on the 20inch Senta's!) and it's the replacement for the Z I'm afraid lol. Can't say much for the XK but there along the same performance as your HR Zed, so you won't be getting much beside stunning looks and comfort, I'd look for the XKR if I were you. I've also had a ..chase shall we say with my neighbour to see the difference at full pelt and it certainly will still see you in the mirror (albeit TINY) but it is much faster and the grip around corners is beyond the Z, I tried my damn heart out lol.

If you can afford it go for the R

Much more compliant suspension set up, lot comfier than the Z

You will have to get used to the very light steering though, doesn't give you much confidence but it does turn well, you just need to get used to it.

Reason I'm looking...besides the obvious..the Z's clutch is just annoying on a day to day basis (and I've got the easier post 06' onelol)...The XKR drives wonderfully, makes you want to cruise and relax, but will still leave most for dead should you need to get a move on

Fuels not that much worse either.

Edited by AMT
  • Like 1

In terms of the paddles there certainly quick enough, you shouldn't have an issue with them. Just goes back to auto after a few secs of not touching them or when you accelerate brake it'll change up if you do nothing. Not sure how long the gears hold on sport as I can't remember but I'm sure it let me take it right up and it still let me change before it did. Smooth, fast and comfy. You won't be disappointed put it that way!

XKR is within budget and I've seen a nice 57 plater with dealer stamps 26k miles for a shade under 25k. Tax is about 550 a year it would seem.

Oh I'm going to have a test drive for sure.Thanks for your input much appreciated.

• Like 1

I'm having some knee trouble on my clutch leg so I was considering one of these as the sequential boxes are supposed to be fairly good. Refined and fully auto when just cruising from A to B etc.I adore the Ian Callum Astonesque design.

Pretty sure they're all slush boxes, no sequential boxes are available.

So the steering is still too light. I'd hoped they'd fixed this as it's the one thing I don't like at low speeds on the X100 (it's also somewhat vague). Everything improves if you press on however. My car sharing mate had a ride in a alloy-bodied XKR-S the other day. Apart from it being quick he was amazed how good the ride still was despite being on 20s (at least).

• Like 1