Advice needed - VED fines

terry06

A Magistrate can also decide if the fees from the bailiffs are excessive - Have had experiences of a similar nature with private parking companies and in the research a lot of magistrates deemed their fees as excessive - not sure how that would stack up if they are working for DVLA

This happened to me years ago when i was a student, a parking ticket resulted in the fine going to my parents address. They didn't open the letter for weeks because it was addressed to me, first time I knew about the fine was when bailiffs were knocking on the door of my previous student house.

I'm pretty sure the DVLA can prosecute your not informing them of your change of address (£1000??), legally I'm sure it's the registered keepers duty to make sure the address is up to date. I cannot see a magistrate siding with you on this. I ended up having to pay £400ish for a £45 council parking ticket, I even tried to get the local MP interested, but they all told me just to pay the fine or go to court, and face a even bigger fine!!

It seem un-fair, but the law is quite clear. Pleading ignorance / not opening the letter / not getting the letter wouldn't work in court. If the fine is from the council and legitimate you have little chance of wining.

Edited by gangzoom

Thanks for the input guys,

I am swaying towards just paying the whole lot and being done with it.

Who would I pay?

Obviously the bailiff and I guess that will settle the Court side of things too.

But then I have this original debt collector stating I still need to pay their company the original fine, that can't be right surely?

I wouldn't trust half of the boats in a swimming pool let alone the sea :surrender:

Could try a Dukes of Hazard style stunt and jump the zed onto one of the big cargo ships as I leave the harbour I suppose

Edited by terry06
  • Like 2

Thanks for the input guys,

I am swaying towards just paying the whole lot and being done with it.

Who would I pay?

Obviously the bailiff and I guess that will settle the Court side of things too.

But then I have this original debt collector stating I still need to pay their company the original fine, that can't be right surely?

Contact the department he bailiff is representing. Your situation seems quite complex, but I'm not sure just how 'honest' some of these bailiffs are...In my case the bailiff was demanding £550 up-front on the day whilst banning on every door/window he could get to, when I phoned the council that the debt originated from they told me I owned them £400 ish. When I asked where the £550 came from they had no idea, so I wasn't sure if the bailiff was just trying to pocket some extra cash....Obviously I'm not implying they were trying to con me out of more money, that would be libel :lol:

Edited by gangzoom

Contact the department he bailiff is representing. Your situation seems quite complex, but I'm not sure just how 'honest' some of these bailiffs are...In my case the bailiff was demanding £550 up-front on the day whilst banning on every door/window he could get to, when I phoned the council that the debt originated from they told me I owned them £400 ish. When I asked where the £550 came from they had no idea, so I wasn't sure if the bailiff was just trying to pocket some extra cash....Obviously I'm not implying they were trying to con me out of more money, that would be libel :lol:

As far as I am aware the bailiff is acting on behalf of the Magistrates who are in turn acting for the DVLA. I will try and find out exactly what is going on if I can ever get through to the Magistrate. The DVLA were crap.

I still don't know how the original debt collector agency fits into it though. They are employed by the DVLA but the guy I talked to swore blind that they didn't go through court/bailiff.

For my situation I had to phone 2 different council offices, since the fine was given by one council but the car was registered at a different councils catchment area...Infact the car wasn't even illegally parked. But it became such a mess I just wanted it to all go away ASAP so just paid up rather than have to deal with the hassle.

The bailiff should know who employed them. Good luck sorting it out!! Your be glad once it done, and in the future am sure your be obsessive about opening up/keeping track of letters from the DVLA. I know I'm these days :)

• Like 1