Reversing Camera now fitted...

zebedy

I took the day off Tueesday with the intention of laying down some patio but as the weather here in Wales was unusually raining, I decided to take a pop at fitting my 12 quid camera and 14 quid screen that I bought a few months ago off ebay. Ill post the links to the products after.

So first off was to take out all the carper and boot lining and locate the mint coloured wire feeding the positive to the reverse light. Basically, the light gets its power when you put the z into reverse, so tapping into this wire would power up my camera and screen and when in any other gear they would turn off. SIMPLES !

The loom is in the left hand side of the boot as so.

DSC_0799_zpsqmcaqcgi.jpg

so I would tap into this and take the wire all the way to the front where my stereo is, ie...through the rear bulk head, through the roof storage void, into the central console tunnel then up into the central dash (I have a roadster)

The grounding I did for the camera was anywhere in the boot and the screen onto a metal part under the dash.

DSC_0802_zpsms5xdw6n.jpg

Positioning the camera centrally was a ball ache because the boot catch is as you all know in the middle and I did not want to put the camera off centre (although nothing wrong with that) its just my OCD took over and managed to fix it in front of the boot switch, centrally because of its small size.

Next I pulled the left side number plate light out (just pulls out with a little spring clip, and this is where I would feed my wire through into the boot.

I drilled a 12mm hole inside and fed the cable through. Happy days

DSC_0803_zpscu7ftrf9.jpg

DSC_0800_zpsi2vtqojo.jpg

Using a length of wire I fed through the wall and taped it to the camera feed and pulled it all through.

DSC_0804_zps6yhtkd6l.jpg

DSC_0805_zpsefxiz97t.jpg

so after it came through, I fitted a nice little grommet which I had in my bits n bobs ice cream container (which all members should have BTW lol) to protect the wire.

DSC_0806_zpst3ortyzj.jpg

so next was to test the screen. WOW. for something costing a few quid, it was outstanding. Very good resolution, has two channels and is fully adjustable, ie contrast, brightness and colour. It even has the green, yellow and red guidlines, which TBH I was not expecting. Good so far.

DSC_0808_zpsshhoclak.jpg

now with it all working great, it was time to feed the power to the front of the car.

DSC_0810_zps7tx2vkow.jpg

DSC_0811_zpsscoufyom.jpg

DSC_0812_zpsngsyopns.jpg

Could not decide where to put the small 3" screen so opted to use the bracket that came with it and screwed it down here....

DSC_0815_zpsochhqshv.jpg

DSC_0814_zpseicnltdf.jpg

so for just under 25 bucks, a few hrs work, I now have a fully functioning reverse camera which works a treat.

Hope you all like and let me know if you need the part numbers that I used from ebay.

THE HD CAMERA

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HD-Waterproof-Wide-Night-Vision-Car-Reverse-Camera-Rear-View-Parking-LED-Sensor-/231353089456?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35ddb7fdb0

THE HD SCREEN WITH DUAL INPUTS A/B - SMALL 3"

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-5-TFT-LCD-Screen-Rearview-Color-Car-Monitor-Car-Reverse-Camera-DVD-VCD-UK-CS-/321634523057?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4ae2e957b1

• Like 1