Tallying my options

-Bradders-

Right so most of you may know, my car developed a bad habit of smoking, well. i took it to sly, the verdict was the seals are fine, he's taken a look from the inlet side and they look ok, now i've took it to another Mechanic/friend who also deals with just performance cars and he's telling me that they way it smokes (only on start up and when revving, driving along normal is fine) that its deffo just the valve seals.

Now heres my dilemma, to take the heads off get the valves done heads skimmed new gaskets etc.. im looking at around £700-750 including everything (is that high?)

To have a full rebuild sly is quoting around or about £2000

now i've found an engine in ireland on the 350z fb page its got 23k on the clock, the only proof of mileage is the clocks, but its £800 delivered to my door. (1000 euro)

Any ideas people? i dont know how to confirm if the last one is legit, i mentioned it was worried about sending that much money over fb and he said if your worried use paypal but send it as a friend which is obviously a no lol. i dont think he got what he was saying though i added him as a friend and he has a normal fb account so i dont see him being a scammer.

What would you do? could you help? any ideas would be great! I hear the zedshed are good with things like this?!

Anyone?

Help?

Please...

lol.

Who said we were Good??? That's slander that is :rant:

:)

If the engine has 23K I'd go for that - OK it's a bit of a risk but sounds like a cheap engine to me - best I have managed is £750 for a 45K motor :shrug:

Of course you then need the motor changed - not hard if you know what you are doing and have the tools / space to do it.

Me and Bob can do a complete swap in a day the big problem for us offering help at the moment is timescales - I have Wasso's motor in at the moment, a suspension change this weekend (another member) a steering rack and 2 banana arms to do on yet another members and I think 2 more owners waiting for slots to learn how to do P2/3 services.

Add to that a Mini still under a tarp in the front garden, a new garage build - need more space to help you lot out :p and the Radical coming in this winter we are what you might call busy :lol:

If you want it done end of the summer get the engine bought and drop me a PM we can probably help out given enough time ;)

Keyser and The Zed Shed Crew

Edited by Keyser
  • Like 1

It's the risk you're going to get with any engine you buy, you're never going to know until it's all plugged in.

I got lucky as my engine came from a running Zed. Mainly why I chose a 90k engine over a 40k engine - Because I knew one of them worked.

But cheapest solution will be to buy a 2nd hand engine.

Zed shed sounds like an option, will pm you keyser! Yeah i know grundy, thats the worry i have, although he claims it was fully running before he broke the car and sold it in parts. It comes with everything included except for the starter motor.

I'd go for an engine BUT I'd really want to get it from someone you can trust.

Some guy over in Ireland could be fine and well but if that engine is fooked, so are you - nothing you can do.

Plus, you might get some cash back for the old engine as someone may want it for a project, despite it's condition.

Did ZMANALEX or any other traders offer a working engine ?

Also, what is the specific reason the engine carked it ? (was it just crappy oil?)

• Like 1

To be honest the engine sounds like a good shot but I'd also be wary, is it an option for you to fly over there to take a look? What's the price to fly to Ireland these days? Like fook all tbh specially if it'll give you peace of mind

• Like 1

To be honest the engine sounds like a good shot but I'd also be wary, is it an option for you to fly over there to take a look? What's the price to fly to Ireland these days? Like fook all tbh specially if it'll give you peace of mind

Again, you won't know until the engines plugged in. - I.e. Bradders could just sell his like the guy is doing in Ireland and you wouldn't know unless you stripped it down.
  • Like 1

With a couple of write-offs we have recently heard but the engines were not damaged, worth asking those two?

http://www.350z-uk.c...side-swiped-me/

http://www.350z-uk.c...st-too-furious/

The price of the FB one and given the low mileage would make me very nervous having seen on here in recent years what engines are generally selling for with the "too good to be true" coming to mind, so I would suggest you check the genuiness as much as possible....but hey you might well have found a good one!

• Like 1

Again, you won't know until the engines plugged in. - I.e. Bradders could just sell his like the guy is doing in Ireland and you wouldn't know unless you stripped it down.

Last time I stripped an engine that had come out of a Zed it had holes in the side of the block and a bent rod - it did come out of Grundy's Zed though :lol:

What Grundy has said is right though seeing it won't prove anything if I take Bradders engine out you won't know it was smoking until you bolt it back in and turn the key.

As Colin has said be careful but I have seen a few engines at that sort of price from private sellers, although that one is very low mileage :shrug:

Edited by Keyser
  • Like 3

Quick bump, the guys has messaged me again:

Engine comes with loom, p/s pump, a/c pump, all sensors, clutch and flywheel, (like new) manifolds, engine mounts, it's 1100 euro or 810 pounds, delevered buy courier, let me know if intrested, thanks

Sounds good to me, he also says that he has a video of the engine running? he's also braking the rest of the car too? Still just cautious about sending money there and not knowing much about it.

then i also thought, i could make some money back selling most of the parts that i will be replacing with what i have like clutch flywheel loom mounts etc...

What do i dooo?

Engine comes with loom, p/s pump, a/c pump, all sensors, clutch and flywheel, (like new) manifolds, engine mounts, it's 1100 euro or 810 pounds, delevered buy courier, let me know if intrested, thanks

Sounds good to me, he also says that he has a video of the engine running? he's also braking the rest of the car too? Still just cautious about sending money there and not knowing much about it.

then i also thought, i could make some money back selling most of the parts that i will be replacing with what i have like clutch flywheel loom mounts etc...

What do i dooo?

It's going to be the same with ANY engine you buy....any seller you give your money to... Even traders on here, but at least with them, you pay the excess to have a fallback if they don't work.

What do i dooo?

Custard test, or similar.

You need a cast-iron contract in UK law that allows you recompense if anything is wrong with the engine. I'd want his address and proof that it's his address too, so worst come to the worst you can fly over and deliver the court papers personally.

Or, for the same money, you can get the valve seals done by a legit company in this country which will solve your problem. I know which I'd be doing.

If you really want to go down the engine route then what's the paypal fees on £800? 3% or something? Just send it through paypal goods and services including an extra 3% so you're covered.

Or just pay to have the problem fixed in your current engine? That would be my choice, better the devil you know and all that.

• Like 2

Indeed my engine was different,

But the issue I have with a rebuild is, yeah 'seals may have gone' but you're not going to be 100% until the block is apart.... It may be that, may be something else or it might even be seals + 'insert any other variable here'

If it was me again :lol: (Might be in 2 weeks time) I'd wait and find another engine like I got, that came out of a running car - As you know it's running sweet.

• Like 1

This one did come out of a running car, he says the only reason he didnt put it on the road after the repairs was the tranfer fee from uk to ireland plates cost more than what he paid for the car lol. so he decided to break it. he seems legit, and like you said grundy, if i get the seals done and for some reason its not them then im stuck.

You're just waiting for one of us to say go for it, aren't you? Every one else has said that you shouldn't buy this Irish engine but you're still persisting with it, so I think you're going to keep going until you get the answer you want. ;)

Seriously, just don't. You have too much risk here, and the colour change is setting alarm bells off for me.

• Like 1