Steering Judder

Adz

Right ive had this problem since I brought the car nearly a year ago, however since having 4 new tyres fitted this issue has become a lot more evident.

When im cruising along usually anything above 20mph, and turning slightly left to go round a gradual bend, the steering wheel shakes/judders like hell.

Before having new tyres fitted this only really happened if I hit a small pot hole while turning left, however now it just happens pretty much every left turn I make.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Edit: PS fluid is at correct level, No bubbles in reservoir when steering,

Edited by Adz

what tyres did you have fitted? wheels all balanced when new tyres went on? wheel nuts tight? tyre pressures?

those are the easy things, then i'd move on to:

wheel bearings all ok, no play? after that i'd be checking the bushes in the front suspension, and checking for play in the steering rack and tie ends.

got a bit of wheel wobble in a car I've just bought, so interested to see if there are any other suggestions.

• Like 1

what tyres did you have fitted? wheels all balanced when new tyres went on? wheel nuts tight? tyre pressures?

those are the easy things, then i'd move on to:

wheel bearings all ok, no play? after that i'd be checking the bushes in the front suspension, and checking for play in the steering rack and tie ends.

got a bit of wheel wobble in a car I've just bought, so interested to see if there are any other suggestions.

Are you doing anything else when turning?

while under load = driveshafts - new driveshafts

while breaking = disk runout - reskim disks and rebed

@ brillomaster...

Tyres were balanced etc, and pressures are spot on. Ive given the wheel/hub a wobble to check bearings but this seams ok.

Ive got some big work to do on the engine soon, so will check bushes etc when i do that.

@KUGT4...

This happens if under load or just coasting round a left corner.

If i brake while the steering is juddering, this usually stops it.

Like I say it used to do it if I hit a pot hole or uneven ground, but now it does it all the time when turning left since having new tyres.

hmmm in that case I'd suspect bushes are the culprit, and the fact it got worse with new tyres is just coincidence (although I don't believe in consequences when troubleshooting car problems)

although wheel bearings are the usual thing when a car makes a noise when turning to one side, but they're normally accompanied by squealing noises!

hmmm in that case I'd suspect bushes are the culprit, and the fact it got worse with new tyres is just coincidence (although I don't believe in consequences when troubleshooting car problems)

although wheel bearings are the usual thing when a car makes a noise when turning to one side, but they're normally accompanied by squealing noises!

Yeah there is no noise or whining as you`d expect from bearings, it just literally shakes the steering wheel like a hammer drill.

Will try get a video up in the next few days if I can, it will show how violent the shake is.

It dont feel like it could be a dangerous fault, like anythings gona suddenly fall off.

I resent having to take my cars to a garage, unless its for MOT, tyres or tuning etc.

Im a competent mechanic so will work out the problem and fix it myself, was just hoping someone on here has heard of the same problem and could save me a bit of time diagnosing.

Im thinking its probably to do with a perished bush somewhere?

• 4 weeks later...

Just thought id update this thread in the hope of helping others in the future.

I managed to sort this problem by simply replacing the power steering fluid.

Now feels like new, no judder and also softened up the steering slightly :D

• Like 1