Valve guide seal replacement

Adz

Hi I will soon be removing the heads to replace the valve guide seals. However I'm finding it difficult to find anywhere in the UK that sells the seals (only searched on Google so far).

Can anyone recommend a place that sells these? Will also need head gasket set and bolts

If you need a hand at the weekend Adz, gimme a PM, I'm in Aylesbury too.

Thanks MrChow but I won't be able to start it until the following weekend unfortunately, otherwise I would have been extremely grateful for another pair of hands.

Do you live in Aylesbury MrChow?

Edited by Adz

If you need a hand at the weekend Adz, gimme a PM, I'm in Aylesbury too.

Thanks MrChow but I won't be able to start it until the following weekend unfortunately, otherwise I would have been extremely grateful for another pair of hands.

Do you live in Aylesbury MrChow?

That's a shame, next weekend I'll be in Dubai.

Yeah I do Adz, think I've seen you cruising about while I've been in my work van

Haha of corse. Don't think I've seen urs about. I see a silver Z parked in Bedgrove and a blue Z in meadocroft but don't think I've seen another gm grey.

Hopefully see u about m8. If u see me gimmie a nod

Haha of corse. Don't think I've seen urs about. I see a silver Z parked in Bedgrove and a blue Z in meadocroft but don't think I've seen another gm grey.

Hopefully see u about m8. If u see me gimmie a nod

I've seen a silver one too. Will definitely give you a wave bud

Why are you thinkng of changing the valve stem seals? Using oil I presume?

Are you sure it is the valve stem seals? The VQ suffer from the oil control rings loosing there tension so the car starts to use oil.

If the car is running cats you won't get any blue smoke from the exhaust. Running decats your get smoke.

Trying to help you out to save you wasting money and time from our experience.

Are you sure it is the valve stem seals? The VQ suffer from the oil control rings loosing there tension so the car starts to use oil.

If the car is running cats you won't get any blue smoke from the exhaust. Running decats your get smoke.

Thanks Mark!!

Yeah im fairly certain its the Valve seals. Using about 300ml of oil a month (800 miles), and getting blue ish smoke.

Ive been running silenced decats for about 3 months, then it started smoking about 5-6 weeks after I fitted them.

Usually smokes on first start up, then calms down until engine has warmed up.

It then only starts smoking during and after over-run, and when the car is being driven in slow moving traffic.

When the car is cruising there is no visible smoke.

Am I right in thinking that if the Oil Control Rings are shot, then it would smoke constantly? not just on over-run etc.

I understand your thoughts.

But every smoke VQ we have stripped had worn out oil control rings.

The cylinder heads when stripped the inlet valves where perfectly clean no oil continuation at all.

Compression test will show up good as well.

I just think if you pull the heads off it is an easier job with the motor out you might as well

strip it fully.

The Rev Up motor had a recall for oil usage Nissan had changed supplier of Pistons rings for the Rev Up motor on the recall they changed the Pistons ring set.

Thanks

Thanks Mark!! There's no way I can argue with that advice from someone like yourself.

I've only had the car for nearly a year, so not exactly familiar with the VQ engine.

I Just feel the symptoms I'm getting from driving the car daily, generally

point towards stem seals and not oil control rings.

Think I need to reconsider what I'm going to do and find some more spare cash and make space in the garage.

Either that or take a risk, ignore your sound advice and just whip the cams off and replace the stem seals with the heads still in place. Wouldn't take me too long and would only cost me the price of the seals.

Why will you get blue smoke with de catted exhaust Mark? Thank you

To get the cams out is a front cover (complete, front and rear parts) then remove the 3 cam chains off before you can take the cams out.

It isn't a nice motor to strip especially with it in situ in the car.

Looks easy to get at the timing chains etc do with the bumper, front cross bar and radiator removed.

I didn't think the rear part of the timing cover needs removing, just the 2 half pieces that lock down the cams?