Pulley idler wheel bolt stripped

Randy_Baton

Finally got round to fixing my fan belt sequel but when doing the Idler wheel up I think the bolt stripped. My torque wrench only goes up to 24Nm, guidelines state idler should be 35Nm. I went up to the limit on my wrench swapped to a non standard wrench applied half a turn and then the nut loosened up and just spins. I can undo it so its the bolt that has been stripped rather than the nut, I just can't get the nut to go on any further.

Its pretty much there in terms of how far the nut was on the bolt before. Would this cause any issues/does it need fixing before driving?

I thought about putting some sealant around the bolt to stop it undoing through vibration, but leaving it easy to get off further down the line. would this be a good idea?

IMG_2185_zpsr80pxbny.jpg

Edited by Randy_Baton

I'm afraid it needs changing, it WILL looseten if not tight, due to vibration and the motion of the pulley, if you need to drive it somewhere to get it fixed then see if you can find another nut of the same thread and tighten against the old one as there looks like there is just enough thread, but I wouldn't be driving it too far.

Can't I just stick a bigger nut or a few washers on and then use the thread that's left to tighten it?

What response do you expect with this question? Ricky suggested an ingenious temporary solution. Do you lack common sense? Off course it needs to be done right.

It's your car therefore your call and if you need to buy a new or used one so be it. If you want to botch it carry on!

Speak to the used parts traders and you will know if they may sell you just what you need or the whole thing.

Edited by GT4 Zed

Can't I just stick a bigger nut or a few washers on and then use the thread that's left to tighten it?

What response do you expect with this question? Ricky suggested an ingenious temporary solution. Do you lack common sense? Off course it needs to be done right.

It's your car therefore your call and if you need to buy a new or used one so be it. If you want to botch it carry on!

Speak to the used parts traders and you will know if they may sell you just what you need or the whole thing.

Calm down mate. The question I was getting at is if I can get another nut on it and it does up tight would if make much of a difference? It doesn't seem like it would to me, but I'm not an expert. Its the difference between a 50p fix and probably around £100 as I'd need a garage to do it properly. So if it doesn't make much of a difference using another nut then its it worth doing it right.