rear spoiler delete.....

dougie350

evening all, planning on doing a spoiler delete on my 03 zed along with rear wiper, dont want to replace it with another spoiler, going for the clean smooth look! anyone done this on here? any helpfull tips? how did you fill the holes? many thanks. doug

Bah haven't got any picutres,

Pretty simple buddy, if you're like me and don't want to fork out about 200/300 just for a wiper delete.

Go to halfords and get some grommits. Think they are generally known as wiper delete grommits. They come in a pack of 4, different sizes, one is perfect for the zed.

Did it on mine, literally takes 5 mins,

Pop the little plastic at the bottom end of the wiper blade and unscrew the one bolt.

unclip the plastic from inside the boot. It's all clips so just slowly work your way around.

then just unbolt the wiper motor.

Pop the grommit in the hole from outside

Boom done.

• Like 2

^^^ this is what I intend doing when I get round to changing my rear spoiler when the weather eventually warms up (have to work outside) got quoted silly money to fill x2 small holes that will be visible when my new spoiler is fitted so I think a trip to halfords for a pack of grommets is a very effective cheap alternative :)

Bah haven't got any picutres,

Pretty simple buddy, if you're like me and don't want to fork out about 200/300 just for a wiper delete.

Go to halfords and get some grommits. Think they are generally known as wiper delete grommits. They come in a pack of 4, different sizes, one is perfect for the zed.

Did it on mine, literally takes 5 mins,

Pop the little plastic at the bottom end of the wiper blade and unscrew the one bolt.

unclip the plastic from inside the boot. It's all clips so just slowly work your way around.

then just unbolt the wiper motor.

Pop the grommit in the hole from outside

Boom done.

What's that gotta do with a spoiler delete? :p

^^^ this is what I intend doing when I get round to changing my rear spoiler when the weather eventually warms up (have to work outside) got quoted silly money to fill x2 small holes that will be visible when my new spoiler is fitted so I think a trip to halfords for a pack of grommets is a very effective cheap alternative :)

I'm pretty sure there are 4 holes for the OEM spoiler, which of course could easily be filled by small grommets as you mentioned, but they won't hide the wear in the paint from the spoiler vibrating/rubbing over the years on the boot. Hopefully you'll get lucky and it'll all polish up fine, though :thumbs:

• Like 1

^^^ I have my replacement spoiler in storage (on top of my wardrobe) :lol:

Having checked the size and shape of the footprint against the oem spoiler the four holes along the top will be covered as hopefully will any paint defects, the two holes I need to fill are at either side of the high level brake light :)

Having checked the size and shape of the footprint against the oem spoiler the four holes along the top will be covered as hopefully will any paint defects, the two holes I need to fill are at either side of the high level brake light :)

Roadster?

EDIT: No wait, the roadster has no spoiler? What holes are either side of the high level brake light and how are they affected by a spoiler? :wacko:

I've been out of a zed for about 5 months now, so could easily be confused lol

Edited by KyleR

Roadster?

EDIT: No wait, the roadster has no spoiler? What holes are either side of the high level brake light and how are they affected by a spoiler? :wacko:

I've been out of a zed for about 5 months now, so could easily be confused lol

I probably should have said its a 370 coupe so boot lid slightly different to 350, there's a small strut either side of the brake light on the oem spoiler but on my replacement spoiler there is nothing to cover the two holes that will be left behind :thumbs:

• Like 1

i posted a few days ago asking about an oem spoiler delete, well ive got as far as popping all the plastic boot trim off and undoing the 2 10mm bolts for the spoiler... but it is still super rigid and held well in place, i understand there is some sticky tape stuff too so i tried to run some fishing line between the spoiler and boot to try and cut it but no luck, the fishing line kept snapping, has anyone got any helpfull ideas to get it off? thanks in advance!

i posted a few days ago asking about an oem spoiler delete, well ive got as far as popping all the plastic boot trim off and undoing the 2 10mm bolts for the spoiler... but it is still super rigid and held well in place, i understand there is some sticky tape stuff too so i tried to run some fishing line between the spoiler and boot to try and cut it but no luck, the fishing line kept snapping, has anyone got any helpfull ideas to get it off? thanks in advance!

I done mine in order to get it wrapped mate. I know what you mean it is on there tight and your probably thinking why the hell you started to remove it now!!

I got a hair dryer (my Mrs' not mine), heated up one end for a bit then quick movements with fishing line.

You will only get as far as the bolts on either side which I believe is about 4" in on both sides.

At that point the fishing line will keep snapping as its rubbing on the bolt.

All I did was heat up right next to the bolt until I could almost peel up the spoiler ever so slightly (not too much as it could snap). Then manoeuvre the fishing line to the opposite side of the bolt and continuing with the 1st process of heating etc.

Once the majority is unstuck, you just pull upwards and firmly around the middle of the spoiler and it will unclip the two poppers in the middle of it. So 2x bolts (1 at each end) and 2 clips in the middle that just pop out with a pull.

Once done you will be left (maybe, I was) with sticky residue where the spoiler once was. This stuff is nails to get off it took me a total of 4 hours. Peel and scrape as much as you can off then use some kind of residue remover of some sort (I used one by autoglym, worked a treat).

I also had quite a few stuff marks on the boot from the fishing line (where I got a bit too carried away).

Can't find any pictures from when I took mine off but hope this helped. If not then that's about 10-15 mins of my life I'll never get back lol!

That's what she 'Zed' :-/

Edited by JoKeR
  • Like 1