Used car selling options....

gangzoom

So wife's new car is due in a few weeks, and yesterday go the private plate transferred off the Civic.

Original plan was just to take the car to WBAC, which have quoted £4K for the Civic. Looking at auto-trader, dealers are asking for £5-5.5k for the car, with private sellers asking for around £5K.

Given WBAC is likely to try and knock off 10% of their quote value (no idea if that correct), I may be able to get nearly £1K more for the car if I sold it privately...

Only problem is the last time I tried to sell a car privately, it was a total nightmare, wasted time sitting at home waiting for people to turn up, random phone calls/message from time wasters....In the end, PX the thing anyways.

What does other people on the forum do?? Put up with the hassle of a private sale for some more £££ or just get rid the quickest/easiest way??

Edited by gangzoom

WeBuyAnyCar are rip off merchants, they will never give you the price they quote

they will always find fault with it when you take it there, and chip you right down.

All right if you just want to get rid of it, but don't expect to get any real money for it. :scare: :scare:

• Like 1

My last car was a FN2 Civic Type R. Looked at trade values for the car and wanted to see if I could get more for it so sold it private. Have to admit that it took me a little while to sell, it was just before and over Christmas time though. I listed it on Auto Trader which was a bit of a waste of time and money and only had nuisance messages from there. Then I put it on Pistonheads and had more interest and eventually sold it to a guy who had seen it on there. He was the only one to view it and bought it right away. I ended up knocking a few hundred off the asking price but I still got a better deal than part exchanging.

At the end of the day it depends how much rush you're in. If you're patient you will get a good price and it will then be worth the cost of advertising and any hassle you may receive. How about taxing your Civic by direct debit for now so you don't have as much to pay out and list it somewhere quite cheap to see how it goes for a bit?

when I sell my car i'll be advertising it privately, I wont be in a particular rush to sell, and I certainly don't want to lose a grand on it by using WBAC.

Will make sure to give the clearest description of the car to minimise potential questions, and will only arrange viewings after talking to a potential buyer on the phone, no texts or emails!

Edited by brillomaster
  • Like 1

I used we buy any car when I sold the wife's yaris. I got a great deal after the stone chip deductions

So good that a fortnight later the car was on a forecourt for a lower price than they paid out

Always worth a punt

WeBuyAnyCar are rip off merchants, they will never give you the price they quote

Have you ever actually sold a car to them? Ive done 4 now, the last one didnt get knocked at all and the dealer even mentioned a bit of a cashback scam which would have been a winner :D

If they will pay more than trade in, or if you have a car with a bit of a fault (leaky roof on an S2000, intermittent cutting out on an M3) then they are excellent - no messing about, no haggling, just drive up, take cash and drive away :)

In your situation Id probably go with WBAC and if they try to knock you and more than a couple of hundred bucks walk away, you can always go back another time :)

Yep tried to sell them the wifes mini only because I couldn't be bothered

to eBay it, took it all the way to Enfield when I got there the guy walked around it

and said it had the wrong tyres, there were stone chips, a bit of ware on the passengers

seat, the carpet on the drivers side was slightly worn..all stuff you would expect on a

7 year old car with 65,000 on it. Then offered me £800, less than they quoted...I told him

to f*** off, took it home e Bayed it and got £650 more than they originally quoted me. :thumbs:

I used wbac when selling my old fiesta to trade against the Z.

They offered £800 online and I ended up walking away with £350. I just wanted rid of the thing to be honest but they did pick out lots of non existant faults and used a load of technical jargin to explained themselves.

Personally I'd not do business with them again.

• Like 1

If you put it on e-bay do a classified add.

That way you get to list it for 28 days for about £14 and can set it up to accept offers.

If someone does makes an offer you are willing to accept don`t accept it on e-bay until you know they are genuine otherwise the advert ends. What this means is if they offer a price you are happy to take contact them via email and explain you will accept their offer once they come and see the car and do the deal.

Best way to sell in imo as even though e-bay is a pain its still a big selling window :thumbs:

WBAC, simply sell your car on to used car dealers. Why not cut them out and phone around a few local used car lots like Ricey and see what they offer if you don't want to deal with the public. I'm sure they are always looking for clean stock.

Write a really good ad - provide a you tube link to a video of the car (did this with the VX I sold) - lots of really good clear pictures no arty nonsense and stick it on eBay.

Sold my Zed, VX and Skyline all via eBay, Zed took longest to sell at 3 weeks. All sold at very good prices.

• Like 1