My Mercedes G-Wagen for sale

marzman

Hi guys,

Due to a change in circumstances i've decided to try and sell my barely-begun Mercedes G Wagen restoration project. I'm in a share scheme at work which was due to mature in 2017, but we have just been bought out and so the scheme is ending early, and I am getting a fairly good payout now instead.

As a result, this means we are now trying to buy a house, but we need to supplement our deposit with money from the G Wagen if possible.

I realise that this is probably going to be difficult to sell now in it's current state so i'm not holding my breath. If it sells it sells, if it doesnt i'll keep it and put the resto on hold for 12 months or so.

I've been as honest as possible in the add, as it's probably the best tool to help sell an unfinished project. I'll be adding more pics of the rust and progress tomorrow.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1988-Mercedes-G-Wagen-Restoration-Project-G-Class-Wagon-/271729826929?

Any feedback on the ad is welcome.

Reads ok. ;)

Marzman if the engine runs I'm sure you will have more chance of a quick sale at the price you're after ~ as you say in the advert it "may" just be the battery needs replacing can you not try jump starting it or trying a new battery?

I know you say it may be the starter as well but if you try the easier option of a battery & can say that you've got the engine running again then I'm sure buyers will be more interested. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Reads ok. ;)

Marzman if the engine runs I'm sure you will have more chance of a quick sale at the price you're after ~ as you say in the advert it "may" just be the battery needs replacing can you not try jump starting it or trying a new battery?

I know you say it may be the starter as well but if you try the easier option of a battery & can say that you've got the engine running again then I'm sure buyers will be more interested. :thumbs:

I've tried jump starting and charged the battery fully, and also clouted the starter with a hammer. No joy with all 3. I'm at the point of having to buy a new battery for £60 to see if that sorts it, buti'm only 25% confident that it will, so would rather not waste the money.

...if only someone with a new battery would let me try it for 5 minutes to see if thats the issue...

Just picked up a brand new heavy duty battery for the van from Halfords and not fitted it yet. More than welcome to pop round and borrow it before I fit it. Either way all the best with the sale.

Oh hi mate :lol:

That would be awesome mate. Do you know what AH it is? My book says it needs a 66ah, but the one thats on it is a 63ah and it was fine... Will you have fitted it by next weekend or can i come and get it then? Will only need it for 5 minutes i guess!

I've got a 62ah 620 crank. If that doesn't work, I've got 95ah! 720 crank brand new just fitted to the other van. 2 min job to take it off and next weekend fine. If that doesn't turn it over it's not the battery!!

Awesome!! Will txt you at the end of the week to work out a good time...

So the auction's going well so far! I've got 70 watchers, and have so far been offered £3500 (plus a couple of low ballers). Not too bad, but i'll hold out for £4k for a few more weeks i think. Got a chap coming down to look at it on Saturday too.

• Like 1

So the auction's going well so far! I've got 70 watchers, and have so far been offered £3500 (plus a couple of low ballers). Not too bad, but i'll hold out for £4k for a few more weeks i think. Got a chap coming down to look at it on Saturday too.

That's good then. ;) GLWTS. :)

• 1 month later...

I'm not racist, but.... :lol:

Today i've just returned from a 2 week trip overseas. The day before i flew out i took a £200 deposit from a guy to cancel the ebay add and he'd complete the purchase upon my return. All done via email and he bank transferred me the money.

I txt him today to say we can complete the sale on Saturday, and 2 mins later he calls me up. He had a very thick Russian accent, and he says he's a mechanic from London, and he'd send his boys up to collect it on Saturday :scare::help:

Am I going to die? :lol:

• Like 1

So long as he doesn't try to pay in rubles I think you will be ok. If you need a translator or just another bod, I'm about Saturday.

Cheers mate, I was going to txt you and ask what your wife's hostage negotiation skills were like! I should be alright i think. Hopefully.

All done, car collected.

The new owner is apparently going to restore it and send it to Bulgaria as a gift for a friend.

I got £3750 for it without the Porsche wheels/spacers, which is good going as i only paid £3700 for it and it was running and driving then! B)

All done, car collected.

The new owner is apparently going to restore it and send it to Bulgaria as a gift for a friend.

I got £3750 for it without the Porsche wheels/spacers, which is good going as i only paid £3700 for it and it was running and driving then! B)

That's good news then, ...always nice not to lose out on a car sale. :thumbs: