Hunter wheel alignment.

Fluke

I am planning to get my tracking done at a garage near to where I am working. The garage has the Hunter system, is there any particular fast road settings I need to ask for? Or would I be better having them just dial in the standard factory set up?

Are they any good? A system is only as good as the people using it, a bloke with a bit of string can sometimes give the best results.

As for setup, that's up to you. Default factory is safe understeer, which is also boring as hell. If they're any good, you should able to explain to them what your after (sharper front end, more stable at speed, minimum tyre wear etc) and they'll know how to achieve that. There really isn't any setting as 'fast road', everyone will have their own different opinion on that.

Personally I like plenty of camber up front, some toe out up front, and leave the rears pretty much standing straight. That's makes for a very twitchy car though, so isn't for everyone!

Standing straight? Camber or toe? My 'stock' rear camber is huge neg (inner edge gets toasty after 10 miles or so while the outer remains cold). Too much camber up front will cause poor braking and rut following?

Looking at same question so following this with interest.

Edited by coyoteboy

don't get toe out on the front of a rwd car unless you know what you're doing! the front end will be super skittish and pointy, it wont want to go in straight line. toe out on the front is good for gymkhana/autosolo where you need a very pointy front end, or maybe a twitchy track car as Dan has.

and definitely don't get toe out on the rear, unless you like going backwards into hedges repeatedly!

also just wondering, what wheels and tyres have you got on the car (with particular regards to widths) and what kind driving setup do you like? personally on track we need some more front end turn in, and to reduce understeer, so will be getting wider fronts compared to standard, and zero toe. however my road car, i'd be happy with a stable setup, tending towards understeer, as I don't drive hard on the road and want to be safe and relaxed foremost.

Standing straight? Camber or toe?

Both. My driving style lends itself towards a very unsettled car, and I ran a similar setup on my 911 & MX5 as well as on the MR2. I also ran a fairly aggressive setup on my old Zed, but nowhere near what I use now. Again though, I appreciate that not everyone would find that natural to drive. As I said though, I used it on the 911 which was 99% a road car and I never had any issues at all: In fact, it brought the car to life at a time when I was struggling to gel with it.

Ask Adrian aka Octet what he's running. I'd have thought that'd be near perfect for a fast road setup.

For Adrian, yes. For anyone else, maybe. What works for one, doesn't always work for everyone.