Vibration noise when turning/braking/parking on a slope/curb?

Snowseph

Hi guys,

My 350's developed this problem recently and I'm hoping someone may know what the issue could be, perhaps this'll sound familiar to one of you?

When I am turning/braking at the same time, I feel vibrations coming from the front lower suspension area somewhere? It occurs when I park on a down slope too, e.g. when I brake to park, the noise/vibration occurs, this also happens when I park on a curb, when I brake to come to a stop, the side which has mounted the curb vibrates as soon as I brake, but not the side which is on the road?

Last week I had my front compression arm bushes replaced to Super Pro bushes, as I know this is a common fail, and I suspected these were at the source of the problem. However, the noise/vibration still occurs?

I have no idea what it could be, the garage I took my car to (TGM Sport) would've highlighted any issues with my ball joints, etc. When they replaced the bushes, but they said everything looked fine.

I don't believe it's the tyres rubbing on the arches as I've checked my tyres over for marks and I can't find any, plus my car has not been lowered at all and I'm running 225/45/18 tyres on the front, which leaves PLENTY of room in the arch.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Joe

The symptoms do lead you to think it's happening when the wheel to wheel arch gap is reduced IE mounting a curb, braking, both cause the gap to reduce. If the wheel isn't catching the wheel arch could it be catching the wheel arch liner, the garage may have had them off to do the work.

I assume the problem was not evident before you had the compression bushes replaced, if so I would say the garage who did the work are responsible to sort the problem

Not much help I know but it helps getting a reply even though it's light weight.

The symptoms do lead you to think it's happening when the wheel to wheel arch gap is reduced IE mounting a curb, braking, both cause the gap to reduce. If the wheel isn't catching the wheel arch could it be catching the wheel arch liner, the garage may have had them off to do the work.

I assume the problem was not evident before you had the compression bushes replaced, if so I would say the garage who did the work are responsible to sort the problem

Not much help I know but it helps getting a reply even though it's light weight.

Sorry, I should've said the problem was apparent before I had the bushes changed.

Take it your no further forward?

I'm no expert but if it were me I'd have the front up on ramps and check all steering linkages for any play, suspension units for the same and as Tricky Ricky suggest check security of the sensor and associated bits.

Good luck :)

So it appears to happen when extra pressure/weight is put on the front wheels? Could be bearings?

If it was bearing related it would be more apparent on cornering at any speed, plus there would be noise and to get the vibration your describing the bearing would have to severely worn and possibly breaking up.

Are you sure your front disc's are not warped, does it happen more at speed when breaking?

Edited by Tricky-Ricky

Sorry for the delay.

In response to your question, it doesn't matter if I'm going fast or slow, if I turn & brake, the vibration/noise occurs and I can FEEL it coming from the lower front area. I do have a wheel bearing on the way out but that's the rear left and I'll be getting that sorted this weekend so I'll ask the garage to get it up on the ramp and check everything over. It doesn't happen when I'm braking in a straight line, only when turning or braking when mounting a curb or on a hill for example, I had my brakes checked out last week as they were squeaking but I was told they're all fine, so, still unsure as to what it could be?

Thanks,

Joe

I am not an expert, but I'd say if it vibrates on braking then it is a warped rotor. At least it seems to be the most obvious reason. I just can't see how anything in suspension could cause a vibration on application of a constant braking force, unless it is completely shot to bits. A garage would probably not be able to tell that a rotor is warped because even a very minor surface unevenness can cause vibrations.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, no idea what the issue actually was but it seems to be resolved after my wheel bearing went in to be fixed. I had the wheel alignment done too after, so maybe the alignment was out causing issues? But the car was driving straight before I had the work done, who knows? Lol.

Could be just that during turning the rear gets loaded up also, so accentuates the play/roughness in the bearing and causes vibration/noise to travel through the chassis/body, I find it can be quite difficult to pinpoint noises, and often a noise that the driver says comes from the front, sounds like it comes from somewhere quite different to the passenger,

In any case glad it all fixed fella. :)

• Like 1