Clutch issue

Rock_Steady

I've owned my zed for around a year. Covered about 1000 miles in it since it's purchase. I've always thought the clutch was a little suspect. So, today I drove it for the first time in 3 months and I couldn't help but notice that the travel in the clutch gets worse and worse the warmer the car gets/ or the more the clutch gets used.

I suspect the pressure plate is on it's way out. Clutch still bites I've just got to press further to make it work.

Should I try adjusting the peddle before forking out for a new clutch? Or should I just bite the bullet?

Any advice guys?

As there appears to be no sign of slip I would first try changing the clutch fluid - then the clutch slave cylinder - maybe add a braided line at the same time, That normally cures the type of problem you are referring to - I have also heard of a clutch master cylinder having issues.

I had an issue with the pedal feeling strange after hard driving and in extreme cases not returning all the way up. I spoke to Zmanalex who sorted me a pre-owned slave cylinder - put that on with a braided line and had no issues - in fact the same setup was still on when I upgraded to the Carbonetic twin plate clutch :)

Edited by Keyser
  • Like 1

Thanks for that reply Keyser. I'll have a look at it this weekend and see what's what. I have a better idea of where to start :)

And yes 1k a year! I only drive it if it's not raining, if the wind is from the south east and if the clouds are fluffy enough. :teeth:

I'll try bleeding the clutch out too. Anything before forking out big.

Edited by Rock_Steady
  • Like 1

I checked the clutch fluid. It's black and mucky with bits of rubber here and there. So, I've got a new slave cylinder. I've already got some clutch fluid somewhere in the garage. So weather permitting tomorrow, which it doesn't look like at the moment, I'm going to bleed and replace the slave to see what's what.

Hopefully that'll do the trick :happy:

Edited by Rock_Steady

well, I bled the clutch after putting a new slave cylinder on &... hey presto!! seems to have solved the problem.

Big thanks to Keyser :notworthy:, 370ad & GIXXER!

Now I can get back to concentrating on getting new wheels :teeth:

Edited by Rock_Steady