Humiliated by my Zed

Frannie

A few years back I came out of a friends house, which was on a bit of a hill, to find my car (not a Z) nowhere to be seen, I was about to go back and phone the law thinking it had been nicked, when I glanced a hint of shiny blue paint peaking out of a hedge about a hundred yards down the road....managed to extract it and found no damage, the hedge looked OK too, I can only suppose that due to the brakes being hot when I pulled on the hand brake, that they cooled and allowed the car to roll, I now tend to put it in gear when leaving it.

• Like 1

Caroline and I were touring around The States in a rental back in 2002. The car was a Stratos (not a Lancia sadly) some American mid size car. We were in New Mexico, somewhere near to a place called Window Rock, quite a remote and mainly unvisited area when it happened. We were both dying for a toilet break but the vegetation was sparse and after many miles eventually I spotted a couple of trees close to the side of the road with sufficient cover. I pulled over onto the verge which was mainly broken rock and gravel....failing to notice until the last minute that the verge wasn't wide enough for the car and that it sloped into a 3 feet deep drainage ditch. The verge was a bit wet from an earlier thunder storm and the rental slid into the ditch, the front end completely at the bottom of the ditch, the rear end about half way down. So there we are in the middle of nowhere with no mobile phone and no one to pull us out. After a few minutes panic I took a good look at the ditch and noticed that about 50 yards behind the car the ditch levelled out to just a few inches. So I clambered back in, shoved it into reverse and after about 20 minutes of sliding around extricated the car from the ditch. Didn't see a single vehicle the whole time we were there :scare: . The car was completely caked in mud but we were able to continue.

I also managed,once again in a rental, to get bogged down in a sandy ford in Monument Valley, had to be towed out by a passing 4wd who luckily had a sturdy rope with him.

Pete

The important thing is though.............did you manage to take a leak!! :lol:

Yes, we did. Travelling around in remote areas of Utah, Arizona, etc you're always on the lookout for a suitable place :lol: . Not really a problem for me but Caroline is a bit fussy about where she goes :surrender: . I remember once we found a suitable place only to be greeted by a "beware of Rattlesnakes" notice....straight back into the car :scare: .

Pete

• Like 1