Anyone got an Ultra Wide Monitor?

DoogyRev

I've been using a 50" hdtv as a pc monitor for a while now, beats standard size screen hands down for me anyway, although I haven't got the split screen option as above so not as sophisticated as your link but still pretty cool IMO :)

Edited by tatooandy67
  • Like 1

I think if you need the extra space you'd better off with a dual monitor setup. A 29" screen isn't that big, and by the time you've split that up you may find yourself scrolling a lot or zooming a lot, either of which might get frustrating after a while. A couple of smaller screens would actually give you more room, however that does rely on your laptop having multiple outputs.

If it doesn't, then this seems like a pretty decent compromise and I reckon you should try it before I commit to buying one myself ;)

I don't want to sound patronising :lol: but have you checked your graphics card supports the slightly freaky 2560 x1080 resolution? It'd be a shame if it didn't support that width. The dual link looks cool but I can't help feel you'd be better off with two 16:9s and you can angle them slightly inward for added comfort.

If you go for it, it'd be cool to hear how you get on with it.

Edit: I just checked the native resolution on my 27" iMac (no clever retina scaling). It is 2560x1440 which is obviously a more conventional aspect ratio. I find that a bit small for things like menu and toolbar text, so I actually pull the resolution back to 1920x1080 for normal use, the 1080 height is just about perfect for me working at a distance where I can see the whole screen comfortably without hunting around it with my eyes. This works well for having two documents open wide by side at readable viewing %. I can see the attraction now of having and extra 640 pixels width of the LG, but I don't think it would allow you to squeeze a third document alongside at a sensible viewing %.

I also just saw how good value these monitors are compared to buying two decent 23" displays.

5k display 27" iMac not under consideration? ;)

Edited by SuperStu

Hmmm, I feel like the idea is good, but I don't think it'd be great for what you want.

For example, windows 7 introduced snap panels for people to have two things displayed at once (More easily) which was cool...but then we just got duel monitors which made it better :lol:

I feel you may be squinting a lot with 4 things on screen :lol:

Thanks everyone.

I guess I will have to go have a play with one in the shop. I already have two 24" monitors, one for Mac Mini which I am getting rid of and one I use for work (plugged in to laptop). I just figured I could get rid of both and have one . . less is more type thing.

Agreed that it may be a bit small, will have to see. you can get a 34" version as well. Any bigger than 34" would be too big for what I need IMO