Noise that car makes when you switch the engine off

twobears

Can someone please tell me what makes the noise that I hear when the engine has been switched off for a few minutes? Normally I would lock the car and walk away and never hear it but if I am sitting in the car whilst Mr Twobears pops into a shop then I notice the car making odd noises to itself after a while. The Evoque did exactly the same but maybe all cars do? If I forget it is going to happen and am deep in thought it sometimes makes me jump but I am curious as to why the car does it in the first place?

• Like 1

No, it's a sort of whirring and moaning noise and it's quite loud. The last car did exactly the same but even louder. It sounds a bit like the noise that you get when the wing mirrors fold in (which Stanley does automatically every time you switch off the engine) but with an added bit of what I can only describe as 'moaning' :lol:

It`s the sound of dejection ! It knows it is only second best and a compromise choice when having to change the Zed !

:lol::lol:

I haven't the foggiest idea what a throttle body is but maybe that is what is happening? :)

The air con could well be on when the engine is switched off but that's not where the noise is coming from as there is silence for a few minutes and then this funny noise that I am talking about and then it returns to absolute silence. I've never noticed any clicking either, just the whirring and moaning :blush:

Most of the time the gurgling sound you hear, is the AC compressor pressure equalizing. most cars do this

"The air con could well be on when the engine is switched off but that's not where the noise is coming from as there" -

the air con has pipes, compressor, rads, fans etc - not just the controls ;)

Edited by GIXXERUK

Isn't it the cooling fans - they will come on to assist with further cooling the engine when switched off.

12 posts ............ :lol:;)

Ok, I confess to being stupid but I didn't know what it was and now I do, so problem solved :teeth:

Isn't it the cooling fans - they will come on to assist with further cooling the engine when switched off.

12 posts ............ :lol:;)

There was of course the diagnosis first, being a click or a whirring noise.

I also think some were trolling with answers lol