Thoughts about Jaguar XK8

NeilMH

By the way this isn't a "Dan" type review (i.e. a proper one :lol: )....just a few thoughts having owned an 02 4.0 Coupe for a few months:

There are certain things it's worth checking out before you buy one. The main issues I decided to focus on were (a) Not having Nikasil liners - early ones did (B) Making sure latest tensioners, chains and guides have been fitted - early tensioners could fail © same re water pump (d) rust - on the X100 steel cars (e) they seem quite heavy on bushes - so I looked for suspension related issues (f) gearboxes were "filled for life" but ZF recommend oil and filter changes at 75k or every 8 years.

On the test drive I identified a number of issues and they were resolved as part of the deal (drop-links, some bushes, steering rack).

Nearly all the precautionary things have now been done on mine, including waxoyl underneath. I probably still need a couple of bushes done and then a 4 wheel alignment (next year's budget!).

I needed an automatic (the legacy of a couple of knee ops a few years ago) and my co-owner had always fancied one of these. As ever, quite a bit of desk research was done but the car was sourced very quickly on instinct. Only had one modification which was to fit rear Adamesh exhaust - to get more V8 sound on throttle.

The XK8 is exactly what I wanted at this point - a lazy V8 cruiser. The ride quality is incredibly good (tyres are run at a mid-setting between comfort and normal) and the handling is better than you expect it to be given the comfort level. At low throttle levels you just drive along on the torque and it's very quiet. If you put it in sport and apply the right pedal it's a proper V8. The ZF box is very smooth. You could drive hundreds of miles in this car in total comfort. I know the supercharged version is quicker but I wasn't that bothered (after the Sevens it is difficult replicate that sense of speed anyway).

At low speeds the steering is too light for my tastes and slightly vague (as soon as speed rises it's kind of ok). However, it is unfair to compare it to the Zed or Elise where the steering is telepathic. Standard brakes are ok but not on a par with the Brembos. From most angles it looks great but rear overhang a bit long on Coupe (solved to some extent with later X150 model). Auto box can be a little bit slow witted in some circumstances (it seems to be mainly geared towards economy?).

Overall, I am really enjoying the effortless nature of the car. Winter wheels/tyres have been sourced. Fuel economy levels are similar to Zed. No more mods planned (I can't see the point - it is what it is). Just put this here in case anyone else considers buying one in the future. In some respects, it feels like a car from a previous era - but in a good way.

Edited by NeilMH
  • Like 3

Drove one. Hated it.

Still the best looking car on the road from a longevity point of view.

It's taken me a while to adapt to it.........you have to just sit back and relax B) I like different cars for different reasons...hence why I had a 2CV for a while and loved it :blush: ...a good way to learn about the laws of momentum.