Spray can job. Advice please

Dicky

Going to spray my daughters brake callipers and need a little advice please.

Her current callipers appear to be stove enamelled and in good condition, so does this sound like the correct procedure.

My plan is to clean them first, then scuff them up a little with wire wool to provide a key, then spray them with the colour then finishing off with clear lacquer.

Do you think I need to spray an undercoat as well?

I bought the decals off ebay :thumbs: just leave them a few days for the paint to harden before applying, I have not had any problems with them peeling even though i use a wheel brush on them for cleaning

The longest I have had a car with the calipers painted is 4 years and it looked as good as when i did them, never had to re-paint :thumbs:

Oh just a couple of additional thoughts. Can you get Hammerite in spray cans or is it brush on and did you need to rub down with something first to create a key ?

Make sure you use plenty of brake cleaner agitate it with a stiff brush. You need them to be as clean as possible.

Quick scrub with wire wool. Chances are they are scuffed enough already from normal use.

use a very fine, good quality brush if you are using tins of hammerite, and do it in 3 or 4 really fine layers.

Worked well with the benefit of a paint that was developed for caliper use under extreme heat conditions and gave a fantastic finish is all ;)

as I said i have done this on many cars, x3 911's, my 370, focus rs, x2 clio's, x2 bmw's etc etc the focus rs is running 414bhp and one of the 911's is a turbo so i knpw heat is not a problem

I think the finish is as good as any I have seen

I couldn't recommend it if I wasn't sure it worked without fault but hey ho

demon tweeks sell savage Dicky :thumbs:

Re: the paint issue.

As GIXXERUK has said Hammerite imo as well is definitely good enough for the calipers. Have used it on various cars with good results & no problems due to heat.

Although the price difference between the two is minimal imo.

For example: Hammerite is roughly £7 odd for 250ml and Savage paint is roughly £14 odd for 250ml so double the price but still not exactly a cost too high to pay.

If I was painting my Zeds calipers though, ...I'd go for the Savage paint tbh as G man recommended it is designed for high heat applications and for the cost difference I wouldn't risk the Hammerite this time. Love my Zed too much to skimp on it plus I've no Hammerite left in the garage. :lol:

• Like 2