Has anyone here ever made their own guitar?

twobears

It was Mr Two Bears' birthday this week and I got him a 'build yourself a guitar' kit that he had had his eye on for a while. It doesn't look too complicated because most components are pre-made but it is a bit harder than making up flat pack furniture, apparently :lol: Anyway, it doesn't come with any instructions (deliberately) and he is scratching his head over what to paint/dye/stain it with. He wants to wax or oil the wood so that you can still see the grain but I think that both of those treatments will wear off and get onto the strings etc. Does anyone have any ideas please? He doesn't really want to varnish it because he doesn't want a gloss finish or even the more matt finish that you can obtain with some types of varnish.

This is what I use :)

25g of gum arabic

1/2 teaspoon of honey

1/4 teaspoon of rock candy

about 100cc of water

albumen from one egg white.

- Crush the rock candy

- Warm the water but do not boil

- Slowly add the gum arabic, stirring constantly until dissolved

- Add honey and rock candy

- Strain the mixture through a fine cloth (handkerchief or sheeting) and let cool

While the mixture is cooling

- whip an egg white into a meringue and turn the bowl on edge.

- Allow the mixture to settle out and remove the liquid that separates. (this is the albumin)

- Add the albumin to the cooled mixture and stir well

• Like 1

Thanks Zeus. The guitar doesn't have hairy legs but waxing it sounds great, unless I go for Hugh's recipe! What is rock candy when it's at home? Sounds very American. I'm not even really sure what gum arabic is if I'm being honest. Honey, eggs and water are easy enough to obtain though. I will Google the unusual ingredients and let Mr Two Bears know :dry:

Hmm, Googling rock candy returned one very unexpected result :scare: Apart from that it looks like the sugar on those sticks that you get to put in coffee and gum arabic seems easily obtainable in art shops so maybe this is the way forward. Will pass recipe on :)

Hmm, Googling rock candy returned one very unexpected result :scare: Apart from that it looks like the sugar on those sticks that you get to put in coffee and gum arabic seems easily obtainable in art shops so maybe this is the way forward. Will pass recipe on :)

Stradivarius would be pleased to hear that ;)

It's made of maple and you can obviously paint it but it would look good sanded and waxed or whatever. I like the idea of doing it the traditional way a la Hugh's suggestion because violins always look nice and I like a bit of cooking so I could help. I love waxing wood too (although that comment may be misinterpreted knowing my luck on here :blush: ). All my doors are waxed at home and I did the kitchen beams too and I think they look great. It is a very theraputic thing to do :D

You could try oiling it to bring the grain out and then when it's dry 3 coats of wax. Trust me I'm a decorator! :)

Great line Zeus!! Do you sand it before oiling or just afterwards? It seems very rough at the moment (straight out of the box). Do you have any specific oil and wax in mind? I am guessing that he should look for water based wax if such a thing is available? We have white sofas and pale carpets and I really don't want wax all over them :scare:

Sand with a fine grade paper until super smooth then oil which will raise the grain a little. Re- flat it if necessary then wax, I like Fiddes or Briwax.

As with gloss paints , avoid water based products , wood needs oil!

Edited by ZEUS
  • Like 1

It's made of maple and you can obviously paint it but it would look good sanded and waxed or whatever. I like the idea of doing it the traditional way a la Hugh's suggestion because violins always look nice and I like a bit of cooking so I could help. I love waxing wood too (although that comment may be misinterpreted knowing my luck on here :blush: ). All my doors are waxed at home and I did the kitchen beams too and I think they look great. It is a very theraputic thing to do :D

Well if its made of Maple you need to smother Mr Two Bears' thing in this

193379.jpg?617

:lol: