Project Largo - The Hulk Tourer

saihaynes

Ok so long story short this was an early wedding present for my best mate....best bit is he hasn't actually passed his test yet so I'm stuck chauffeuring him around :)

Anyway.

The idea behind the largo was so that when doing our various mountain bike, surf trip and wild camps we would have something a bit more practical than my skyline 350gt and honda civic (albeit both excellent cars) to choose from. The main requirements were space, reasonable economy and a good solid engine :)

The largo ticked all the boxes and me and my best fiancée picked this little project up from Southampton a week or two ago

d21a5d9cbf80ef8c0ff9be83c32a5e5d.jpg

First things first a good clean both inside and out

5f3c7076dc650982068830ff37bac306.jpg

8bdfe3787d3c671572a6f9c5df358560.jpg

Then onto a couple of other small jobs;

Heatgun and repair where possible some of the vinyl wrap

The alloys are in a pretty poor state so I'll tackle that at some point in the near future however I did wire brush the rear drums and paint the centre caps black

05558205f2941b33e6c2d38ff56e01a8.jpg

I picked up a set of side skirts which we intend to spray gloss black so I rubbed then down, filled in the worst of the damage and primed them ready for spraying at some point in the near future

71f225c05888aa77c5addf55d9fa71e9.jpg

A few little other niggles to sort out, stripped down the drivers door and sorted the dodgy speaker, now audio plays throughout the van :) keeping an eye on eBay and will probably fit a cheap amp/sub combo

I had two Largos, the 2.0 turbo diesel and 2.4 petrol, excellent bus, both were similar on fuel but thats the only thing that spoiled it for me as a daily, i didnt find them that economical, no matter how gentle on the throttle, 25 mpg at best round town.

Yep been averaging around the 20 mark for round town but was happy with the return on the journey back from Southampton, sat at 70 easily and was happy hitting 90 :)

How did you find the two compared as a driving experience? We went for the 2.0td in the end!

There wasnt a great deal of difference to be honest, they both got a hurry on if needed, the petrol was smoother (unsurprisingly) and had a bit more grunt when it came to hills, the diesel was a bit sluggish on any sort of gradient and needed kicking down a couple of gears if you wanted to maintain a speed.

Bought both of mine directly from the auctions at the docks, never had any trouble with either (few worn bushes but that seems common on imports) and sold them both at a small profit over a year or so later.

If the auctions ever come back will have something similar again for sure :)

That's my only criticism of the diesel lump, needs a good run up for any sort of incline, although I have to say I'm impressed with the power delivery as I expected a lot worse from a nearly 20yr old auto box!

You would be correct regarding the bushes, seems to be very common!

Edited by saihaynes