New Circuit in Wales to Open in 2015.

WhackyWill

Any of our Welsh Members on here know if this is going to

happen as I believe they have signed a contract for Moto GP for 2016.. :surrender:

South Wales to get new racing circuit for 2015

Wales, already home to some of the UK’s best driving roads, is getting an all-new purpose-built racing circuit. The 3.5-mile track, to be christened ‘Circuit of Wales’, is due to be opened in 2015/2016, with work beginning on the site later in 2013.

Where will the Circuit of Wales be built?

The planned venue will be set in the Ebbw Vale, in Blaenau Gwent, South Wales, around 25 miles from Cardiff. Work is due to start on the 830-acre site once final approval has been granted from Blaenau Gwent County Borough Council to the outfit responsible for the circuit, the Heads of the Valleys Development Ltd. The site still needs to be surveyed and an environmental assessment to be completed before work can commence.

What exactly will be built at the Circuit of Wales site?

As well as the main 3.5-mile racetrack, designed by the same company that’s working on Wimbledon’s Centre Court roof, there’ll also be a motocross circuit, international-spec karting track, and off-road driving courses. A hotel and leisure complex is also planned – the Circuit of Wales is aiming to host international racing events, track days, manufacturer development and driving training programmes to encourage and nurture future British racing champions. In an effort to remain eco-conscious, the site will partly generate its own energy.

How much is all this going to cost?

The current budget for the Circuit of Wales is £350m for the public-private ownership programme, making the project the largest privately funded investment in motorsport ever seen in the UK. Makes the Nurburgring look like a bargain.

Will the new track make any money?

Heads of the Valleys Development Company Ltd. estimate 3000 jobs will be created during construction of the circuit, which, once complete, will reportedly attract 750,000 visitors a year. It’s hoped the Circuit of Wales will contribute as much as £50m per year to the UK economy.

The Heads of the Valleys Development Company Ltd, pictured, right, said ‘I’d like to acknowledge the tremendous support of the local community of Blaenau Gwent and the Welsh Government. Michael Carrick continued: ‘We promise to deliver a truly innovative and sustainable business, helping to deliver long-term economic and social benefits for the region.’

Edited by WhackyWill
  • Like 2

Well I have no idea whether or not it will happen but I for one hope it does. Can only be a good thing for Wales and the Uk. :thumbs:

Hopefully it will become a popular circuit with event organizers as it would be good to have some events closer to home so I can at least be more active at events. :D

• Like 1

They've been talking about the Circuit of Wales in the MotoGP paddock and commentary for a while now.

The recent MotoGP at Silverstone was the last to be held there. Next year it will be 'coming home' to Donington and then over to Wales in 2016.

Think the name might cause some confusion.

So, famous British race tracks (to name a few):

Brands Hatch

Silverstone

Donington Park

Mallory Park

Oulton Park

And new in Wales for 2015 is:

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch Park

:teeth:

• Like 1

Hopefully it will go ahead - the main protesters are the enviromentalists, and other UK racetracks who don't want any competition. However speak to anyone in the local area (my fiancée's dad included) and they are all for the idea, after all that area of wales is one of the poorest parts of the country since the steelworks closed down several years ago, unemployment is very high and the promise of jobs and investment is very appealing (whether these will actually be delivered is another question).

As for the location, yes it is on one of the highest points in south Wales, but its just common land out the back of an industrial estate. it has very good road links being just off the A465 Heads of Valleys road, and as such is easy to get to from Cardiff, Newport, Swansea, and Abergavenny.

• Like 1

Reminds me of Knockhill in terms of terrain - so potentially more undulating and challenging than some of the converted airfields.

And given we are losing more circuits than we are gaining, so much the better a new one is on the cards :thumbs:

• Like 2

indeed, Europe has some great purpose built circuits, which are a lot better than our old airfield based circuits. the plans for the track remind me of Portimao circuit in Portugal, or Navarra Circuit in Spain, both purpose built venues.

Except without the sun and heat, obviously. But hey, Spa Francorchamps makes a name for itself with the changeable weather conditions, and it rains a lot in the valleys!

• Like 1

I understand everyone has the right to object to any planning application and may have personal views, but sometimes you wonder how anything gets done in this country and often its no surprise when it doesnt.

There are plans for a artificially generated wave just outside Bristol, i have followed the planing application with a personal interest and read most of the 2000+ comments over the time. Some of the things people have to say is frankly laughable, some of them live 100's of miles away, have never visited the area and never will, but they still dont want it going ahead, i am sure its probably the same for this possible circuit.

Personally i think if they made the above 2 ideas, as an example, easier to do, there would be a great deal more investment in the country :) But the red tape often just isnt worth the investment needed to get through it :(

Outline Planning Permission was given in July 2013, which has established the principle.

More detail here: http://www.circuitofwales.com/

And while there are all sorts of details to be approved it does seem that it not only has local support but Government as well, with funding secured involving Chinese partners. It is on a roll and whilst deregulation of Common Land, that is necessary in this case, is always a 'challenge' I do hope those pessimists ^^^^ who think it will never happen are proved wrong and noting it has been agreed with Silverstone that they do not propose to 'pinch' the Britiish F1. :lol: Remember when everyone thought Silverstone was doomed from holding the F1 and Donnington was going to get it........the pessimists were proved wrong there!

• Like 1

one thing

just look where it is :scare: :scare: :scare:

on top of a bloody mountain for christ's sake................and what do we get a lot of on mountain tops ??? :surrender:

Goats?

them, as well as sheep..................but i was thinking more of snow, rain, and lots and lots and lots of mist / low cloud............so its gonna be a great spectator activity.

I seem to recall a TV clip of a horse race and the commentator guessing as to where the horses actually were in the mist - 'cos no-one could see a damn thing :blush::wacko: