Rear drop links.

Dicky

Now don't laugh but thought I'd take off the rear drop links for a look see as I've got a bit of the old squeaks nd creeks. Nice day nd it'll only take an hour cos there's only a couple of bolts on each, easy peasy.

Well 4 hrs later and I've just managed to get the near side one off. What a PIG.

The nuts were rock solid. Managed to get the bottom ones off eventually but the top inner one decided it would be the one to spoil my day and rounded off the corners. The only way to do it was to remove the two bolts holding the bracket to which it was attached, another mammoth task as these were rock solid as well and limited access to get leverage. When I did get it off and into the vice it still wouldn't budge no matter what I tried, WD40, heat, hammers, WD40, screwdrivers, swearing at it, telling the wife etc etc. Eventually had to cut off piece by piece until it surrendered.

The only enjoyable bit of the job was laying what was left of this little buggar on the garage floor and wacking it repeatedly with my mell hammer.

Pity I've cracked the garage floor concrete though.

Looking forward to doing the offside the morra. Ain't DIY great!

• Like 1

Lol. Had a similar experience with mine - top nuts done up previously by a gorilla, easy to look at but poor tool access, never the right socket extension, stuck solid, rounded etc..

I found it much easier to take the hangers off though, as they were done up by Nissan, then bit the bullet and proceeded to cut off the old links from the hangers - also not too hard although I really should buy a vice for my garage :doh: ..balancing and cutting on the end of up turned car ramps jammed into the garage door runner is wobbley.. :lol:

Everything is torqued back to a happy 50-60 Nm too. None of that jungle stuff on my car :thumbs:

Mine ended up like this (I also painted the hangers)

22824371f32f3a278d93288f3304035f.jpg

Nice job Chris. I'm feeling like Band of Brothers reading your post, we've been through hell together ha ha.

I've ordered some of those redesigned drop links from Clark Motorsport and will fit them instead. Just got to get the other side off in the morning so I'm borrowing next doors dog so I can kick F--- out of it when I'm finished ha ha

• Like 1