Windows 7 Back up and restore

Flex

So I do this intermitently for my work PC as most files are dropboxed but annoyingly when I set up outlook it refused to accept the pst file being saved into a different folder (although it has int he past) and I thought it would be nice, if I have to start again from scratch not to have to reinstall everything again.

So I just wanted to check a few things (especially as I've had the blue screen of death on this particular machine), so here are my questions, responses gratefully welcomed:

When the back up runs all it tells me there are errors (most of which seem trivial), how do I know that the back up will restore?

Is it a full restore, i.e. every program installed (that has backed up correctly?)

Presumably I need to install Windows 7 on new machine before I can reinstall the image of my backed up pc.

Bear hugs x

I've never used WinBackup, although I do have it set up. In short though, what you really want is something that will copy an image of your drive: WinBackup likely just protects your files. That's my assumption anyway.

Best thing to do is copy all your documents onto a external harddrive, take a note of all the applications you use and format the drive.

Then put a fresh install of windows. Can all be done using the windows CD on boot up.

Might need to install some drivers after but these can be easily found on the web from the provider, check device manager to see what drivers need installing.

• Like 2

When I relied on my PC and used it everyday I had to reformat it at least every 3 months, been running a mac for over 3 years, updated the OS 3 times flawlessly and it still runs as quick today as when I bought it. My PC is just a mule now nothing more, anything I rely on is on the mac :)

When I just had the PC everything I worked on was on an external as were all the drivers, I then made a bootable disc with all software & settings/drivers so I could format the OS hard drive and have a clean easy install :)

Place Windows7 PC in dustbin,

purchase mac,

set up time machine,

sleep soundly :)

Mac no good for several of my programs unfort.

And TARDIS is in for repairs.

Same here Craig but I use Parallels to run Windows progs on the Mac that I HAVE to use for the Business. Never had an issue. :)

we always use a program called windows easy transfer. saves all your documents to an external drive and your profile settings. not programs though unfortunately, then we fresh install windows and run the WET program again to put it all back.

+1 for Windows Easy Transfer.

Craig my advice on the new setup -

When you install windows, either have 2 hard drives (1 for JUST windows and 1 for files) or Partition your hard drive, so a section just has windows on it.

That way when you come to format it again, you won't lose your files.

• Like 2

Place Windows7 PC in dustbin,

purchase mac,

set up time machine,

sleep soundly :)

Mac no good for several of my programs unfort.

And TARDIS is in for repairs.

Same here Craig but I use Parallels to run Windows progs on the Mac that I HAVE to use for the Business. Never had an issue. :)

looks like something for the future to consider if Mac starts to make more sense for me. I just worry about compatibility for files for clients too.

+1 for Windows Easy Transfer.

Craig my advice on the new setup -

When you install windows, either have 2 hard drives (1 for JUST windows and 1 for files) or Partition your hard drive, so a section just has windows on it.

That way when you come to format it again, you won't lose your files.

This sounds like the simplest option for now. Cheers Matt :thumbs: