Why do people sell nearly brand new cars?

twobears

I've just been looking on AutoTrader at the 4Cs and I was really surprised to see some for sale already. I can understand the ones that the dealers are selling 'as new' with a couple of hundred miles on the clock but there was one with 750 miles and one with nearly 2,500. Do you think the new owners didn't like them or are they just making a profit because the cars are hard to get? I really want to test drive one at a dealers but Mr TwoBears thinks it is a bad idea because I might get carried away :blush:

• Like 2

You work for Ford.

You get 25% discount off all new cars.

You buy the brand new Fiesta ST fully loaded, top of the range car for that mark.

£20'000 is list price say.

You get it for £15'000 with your discount.

Don't use it much, just potter around in it.

Own it for 6 months of registration then sell it for, with little milage for £17'000.

Easy £2000 in 6 months.

I used to know someone who used to do this exact thing, every 6 months with whatever the newsiest Fiesta or Focus was.

• Like 1

You work for Ford.

You get 25% discount off all new cars.

You buy the brand new Fiesta ST fully loaded, top of the range car for that mark.

£20'000 is list price say.

You get it for £15'000 with your discount.

Don't use it much, just potter around in it.

Own it for 6 months of registration then sell it for, with little milage for £17'000.

Easy £2000 in 6 months.

I used to know someone who used to do this exact thing, every 6 months with whatever the newsiest Fiesta or Focus was.

I thought they would make you keep it for X amount of time for just that reason! They also could be cancelled orders that the dealer just keeps for a bit.

With something like a 4C... (prestige sports car product) they are bought by traders, usually with a close relationship to a dealership,for a bit of a discount, and then sell them for a couple of grand profit.

It's the way it's always been, even I my dealership.

I thought they would make you keep it for X amount of time for just that reason! They also could be cancelled orders that the dealer just keeps for a bit.

Dunno.

But that's what happened.

Yep, my sister works at land rover and they had the same deal (with ford not land rover) people would buy new cars every year with the 25% discount and then sell them on. I don't think they get any deals with Land rover. Not sure if they had to keep them a year but if its not used and kept in a garage its not going to lose 25% of its value.

With the 4C it's quite likely that lots of people bought one because it was supposed to be amazing, and then they drove it and wen "Ah, actually this engine is a bit naff and the gearbox is rubbish and OH LORD THOSE FRONT LIGHTS!!!", and decided to get out.

Or to try and make a quick buck on the premium of a desirable new car and a waiting list.

Dunno.

But that's what happened.

Yep, my sister works at land rover and they had the same deal (with ford not land rover) people would buy new cars every year with the 25% discount and then sell them on. I don't think they get any deals with Land rover. Not sure if they had to keep them a year but if its not used and kept in a garage its not going to lose 25% of its value.

Yeah, depends on what we buy for what discount we get, but it is well known you can run a 2k profit if you don't put too many miles on an eco fiesta as they retain their value well. the minimum ownership period is 9 months. Most people will buy it on finance with zero deposit, which is £100 a month, then after 9 months trade it in and get back the 2k. the 2k will b e put straight into the next one so your monthly is lower, repeat until your car is free :)

When the mrs sorts out her new job we'll be doing this with two of them :D

EDIT: Oh, you can't do the same with LR's or Jags really, the fiestas hold their value a bit better than them :lol: Also we only have limited access to vehicle types. Customer comes first and at the moment we have waiting lists for some of the nicer vehicles.

Edited by Husky

Mm, yes, that looks like a very nice car. I still like my first choice though and the lights were one of the things that drew me across the busy showground to look at it. Maybe it's a girl thing? I think they are very feminine looking lights.

Mm, yes, that looks like a very nice car. I still like my first choice though and the lights were one of the things that drew me across the busy showground to look at it. Maybe it's a girl thing? I think they are very feminine looking lights.

Can't be a feminine thing or Ekona would love them as much as you do :lol:

• Like 3

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

+1 and another cup of coffee spat over the keyboard :lol:

• Like 1

I am guessing this is the first car Alfa have bought out for a long time that would/may fetch a premium, apart from the 8c, so would Alfa employees a) be able to afford a base 4C at £45k and c) would Alfa allow it on a ltd numbers production, i personally dont think they would.

I would imagine the most likely thing is people ordering and taking delivery purely to speculate on some profit (with this example), probably didnt even want the car in the first place, just an investment.

Probably very different for mass produced cars such as Fords, Vauxhalls etc

The prestige brands dont take kindly to people placing orders, taking delivery and immediately selling on, with any frequency. A lad round my way has been blacklisted by Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bentley, Porsche etc etc for doing exactly this, he now gets friends to place the order, pays the deposit, lets them keep the car for a day or two and immediately shifts it on, usually with a buyer in place, most of them go to Dubai as they pay top dollar.

On the flip side another local lad ordered an Aventador, did the Gumball in it and its now up for sale, at quite a healthy profit!! One careful owner ;)