New boring diesels are insane!!!

hensh65

Thought some of you may like these. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2ykOrqVU44

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmbJT0c4iqU

:lol:

I just drive 70+ miles and nothing passed my tractor :teeth:

I find my big barge around the same economy wise as the Zed in town, probably all the stop/start moving such a heavy car but on a decent run it motors past 40mpg effortlessly at similar speeds I used to do in the Zed and get 26/27mpg which is nice :)

I got mine as I needed an auto and fancied a change not because I thought it was better than what I had, but believe me it feels just as 'special' to drive but for different reasons :)

Sent from the golf club...

• Like 1

My 1.8 tonne (dry weight) BMW x3 3.0d m sport is quicker than my 350 in real world driving and not too far off on the twisties too. Nowhere near as fun tho and I have never seen more than 32 mpg on the trip instead of manufacturers stated 47mpg. I can get 28 out of the 350 if I so chose to. Diesels are atarting to sound better too. Mine has a nice grunt to it on the upper revs. Have you heard the Audi bi-turbo? In the A6 anyway it sounds more like the 4.2 v8 out of an RS car! As said already though don't think they will ever be as fun & involving as a good petrol sports car such as the 350.

My 1.8 tonne (dry weight) BMW x3 3.0d m sport is quicker than my 350 in real world driving and not too far off on the twisties too. Nowhere near as fun tho and I have never seen more than 32 mpg on the trip instead of manufacturers stated 47mpg. I can get 28 out of the 350 if I so chose to. Diesels are atarting to sound better too. Mine has a nice grunt to it on the upper revs. Have you heard the Audi bi-turbo? In the A6 anyway it sounds more like the 4.2 v8 out of an RS car! As said already though don't think they will ever be as fun & involving as a good petrol sports car such as the 350.

Can't disagree with any of that, just annoys me slightly that people that have never driven a decent modern derv with a decent gearbox seem to have such a good idea of how they drive :surrender:

my TT was the 1.8 derv

couldn't match the 370 - but I loved it all the same and it went like stink (much lighter car) and stuck to the road like on rails

could have had it tuned (but was a lease car)

but agree with SMD on this

Like for like, the petrol version of a car will normally handle better as there's less weight up front. It'll sound better, rev better and cost you less to purchase.

It might cost you more in fuel over the ownership period, and range will definitely be less which can be a massive consideration.

And none of that actually matters, as if the diesel version works for the individual and their driving style, then more power (well, torque actually!) to them :thumbs:

Like for like, the petrol version of a car will normally handle better as there's less weight up front. It'll sound better, rev better and cost you less to purchase.

It might cost you more in fuel over the ownership period, and range will definitely be less which can be a massive consideration.

And none of that actually matters, as if the diesel version works for the individual and their driving style, then more power (well, torque actually!) to them :thumbs:

I could have afforded the V8 XFR but mid teens to the gallon would have made me cry :cry:

I think I would have ended up driving it sedately so would rather have the derv and drive it like I stole it :teeth:

I had a diesel seat Leon FR for a year. Some time before that I had a diesel seat ibiza.

I sold both within a year of owning them. Both amazing cars, both did phenomenal mileage and both very comfortable but both... We're nowhere near exciting enough.

As a daily driver? Amazing

I had a diesel seat Leon FR for a year. Some time before that I had a diesel seat ibiza.

I sold both within a year of owning them. Both amazing cars, both did phenomenal mileage and both very comfortable but both... We're nowhere near exciting enough.

As a daily driver? Amazing

Yeah I think thats what people are missing here, nobody is saying go out and buy a derv as your weekend play thing car, but for people that can only really afford the one nice car they are a good option, especially if you are unfortunate enough to have a long commute

Sent from the golf club...

Drove a 2007 Audi a4 diesel automatic back from

Brighton to Suffolk the other day.

The laziness of havin n auto and the power of a turbo was good fun, but still didn't sounds nice, diesels just don't and for me that's part of the appeal of a nice car.

Diesel technology has come. Long way in recent years thanks to Audi in the Le Mans and the world is better for it, they're just not the cars for me, no matter how fast they may be.