New boring diesels are insane!!!

hensh65

Reading a lot of the negative comments in here is quite funny. I have to say i disagree with almost all of them. The noise is the only drawback, but then it's got an awesome sounding turbo which makes up for it.

I got a 2005 320d earlier this year and it's an absolutely brilliant drive. Lots of pace and torque, overtaking is a breeze, easily make progress as fast as i could in my Zed due to the torque.

Exactly, the noise is the only 'drawback' which really and truly it wasn't for me as I don't like too much noise anyway.

Sent from the golf club...

Listen to this A5 TDI, this is potentially the next car I will be buying to replace the missus car. One of the lads up here has one with a similar set up and its sounds amazing and goes like a rocket.

I had a 530d m sport and that felt quicker than the 350z

A few of the guys on here will assure you that they are not. I had a run in with a 535d and it never stood a chance. Witnessed by a few on here lol. My 118d feels more powerful than the zed down to the torque delivery, its not though. All turbo cars give this feeling.

Very true Neil, although depends what you view as 'quick'

0-60

Track

1/4 mile

50-80

normal everyday driving

Etc etc

At the end of the day if it 'feels' quicker then essentially it is ;)

The Zed never really 'felt' quick to me, even though it quite obviously was.....

Its all about the but dyno ;) I agree with you, some zeds don't feel fast ;)

Haha yeah yeah :p

Listen to this A5 TDI, this is potentially the next car I will be buying to replace the missus car. One of the lads up here has one with a similar set up and its sounds amazing and goes like a rocket.

Yeah removing the DPF although illegal now really improves the sound, same with EGR which I bet that A5 has had removed too. Really improves performance too derestricted...

who here knows what aconyms mean ?

For the poor at googling....

DPF - Diesel Particulate Filter

EGR - Exhaust Gas Recirculation

As someone said earlier a DPF can be a nightmare if it doesn't heat up, but if you bought a diesel and only do short trips then you got the wrong car anyway :wacko:

Edited by spursmaddave

every things illegal these days

Yeah it is only a visible inspection so you just clear them out and adjust the ECU to ignore any sensors. Just means that technically the car is not MOT'd therefore not insured... same as decats I guess really :shrug:

Edited by spursmaddave

who here knows what aconyms mean ?

aconyms is meaningless (but if the 'r' on your keyboard isn't working then it isn't)

PS I hate TLAs

you wee too late - I'd already spotted it...............damn anothe one missed

Yeah it is only a visible inspection so you just clear them out and adjust the ECU to ignore any sensors. Just means that technically the car is not MOT'd therefore not insured... same as decats I guess really :shrug:

it pretty much does the same job.

it pretty much does the same job.

Really chokes a diesel up and when mine does a regen the mpg is awful :lol:

Luckily I drive it like I stole it so there is usually plenty of heat in the exhaust ;)

lol my work beemer is always getting push hard so I shouldn't have too many issues with that lol! The only thing I dislike about diesels is the lack of rpm. I like a high revving engine. Its not so bad if you have an auto box but going from a petrol manual to a diesel manual is always a PITA.

lol my work beemer is always getting push hard so I shouldn't have too many issues with that lol! The only thing I dislike about diesels is the lack of rpm. I like a high revving engine. Its not so bad if you have an auto box but going from a petrol manual to a diesel manual is always a PITA.

Oh yeah has to be a decent auto box, I have best of both with paddles :)

If I drive mine in D mode, slow down for a roundabout then see a gap there is terrible lag, almost dangerous because you miss your chance then launch in to traffic :scare: so I mostly drive in S mode which changes the gearbox settings from waft mode and gives you (almost) petrol like instant power :)

Reading a lot of the negative comments in here is quite funny. I have to say i disagree with almost all of them. The noise is the only drawback, but then it's got an awesome sounding turbo which makes up for it.

I got a 2005 320d earlier this year and it's an absolutely brilliant drive. Lots of pace and torque, overtaking is a breeze, easily make progress as fast as i could in my Zed due to the torque.

Totally agree, I quite often drive a 335d coupe which has been remapped and it's a blast, with good economy when driven sensibly

Yes it's different to petrol but you just adapt you're driving style to suit, diesel is longer the under dog it has been in the past.. More of an alternate to petrol

Have both is the best way to go :thumbs:

If I drive mine in D mode, slow down for a roundabout then see a gap there is terrible lag, almost dangerous because you miss your chance then launch in to traffic :scare: so I mostly drive in S mode which changes the gearbox settings from waft mode and gives you (almost) petrol like instant power :)

Yeah the 1series in sport mode is pretty lively. Eco mode is terrible

Yeah the 1series in sport mode is pretty lively. Eco mode is terrible

But then I drove a Renault Captur hire car which was noisy like a tractor and unresponsive, went to fill it up and realised it was petrol :o

• Like 1

In itself, I have no problem with a diesel car. My truck is diesel, we nearly bought a 118d last year, they're fine for what they do.

With all due respect to Dave and his Jag, which is a very fine machine and is certainly no slouch, for me personally I would never want one as my fun car. They can be enjoyable in their own way, but they can never touch a good petrol engined car in terms of enjoyment.

All IMHO, YMMV, etc.

A mate of mine has a mapped 535d and it would easily pull away from a 350 , problem is it's not really that economical , 40-42 mpg on a run if you are very lucky closer to 35mpg normally and easily into the 20's when driving hard

His dpf is failing now but the car has done 135k.

In itself, I have no problem with a diesel car. My truck is diesel, we nearly bought a 118d last year, they're fine for what they do.

With all due respect to Dave and his Jag, which is a very fine machine and is certainly no slouch, for me personally I would never want one as my fun car. They can be enjoyable in their own way, but they can never touch a good petrol engined car in terms of enjoyment.

All IMHO, YMMV, etc.

here he goes again..................Your Mileage May Vary ???

All IMHO, YMMV, etc.

Never said it was my fun car, it is my everyday driver, munches up the motoway miles in luxury but can keep up on a fun drive if I want :)

Depends what 'enjoyment' is, different for everyone really :)

The likes of Audi have been sinking loads of money into pushing performance Diesel/Hybrid Diesels, after all who doesn't want amazing performance and excellent mpg??

The argument about diesels been more complex to fix compared to petrol cars just doesn't work any more, not when nearly every performance petrol car is now turbo/super charged and running all sort of complex cooling/fuel management system....But still at the end of the day when you pull up at a set of lights next to a lovely looking Audi/BMW/Merc its always disappointing to than hear the diesel lump rattling away :lol:

Still I wouldn't say no if Audit can manage to transfer the performance/economy of their le-mans machine into road cars....Times are changing, hybrid diesel, full electric all offer the same performance of big petrol V8 for much less fuel/running costs, I can see big engined petrol cars pretty much been confined to tiny niche markets in the next 5-10years, if not sooner :surrender:

But its not a bad thing, at the moment I really cannot 'push/enjoy' my petrol 335 without thinking about fuel costs, 10-15mpg is realistic when driven quickly, that means £80 of petrol will return less than 200 miles. I cannot think of many people that can stomach those kind of fuel costs on a regular basis, I know I cannot....For me the sooner cheaper/more efficient performance come the better

Edited by gangzoom