New boring diesels are insane!!!

hensh65

My mate has just bought the brand new Golf R with the DSG box, was having a look at the stats which are mind blowing for a golf! I then went and had a look at some of the sales rep cars sold by BMW and couldn't believe what I was reading.

I don't know if you guys have any type of car that you hate the car and drivers in them but I have quite a few. BMW 3 serise is at the top of mine!!!

However, on closer reading I think I will make sure I have a look at the boot before I decide to over-take the new wave of them.

Take the latest 330d, normally (not always) you would consider a diesel to be slow of the line but unbelievable on the move with the mass of torque it produces. The 330d gets to 60mph in 5.3 :yuck: This is with 255hp and a massive 413ft-lb

The 335d will hit 60mph in 4.8secs with 313hp and 446ft-lb and still return an average mpg of over 50!!!!

I have never driven a powerful diesel so what is the draw back here? :shrug: this is a genuine question :lol:

You kill more sparrows with the emissions - and possibly humans too. Even 'clean' diesels are environmentally dirty compared to modern petrol engines.

Um. Other than that I'm struggling.

They don't rev so high so don't sound as much fun? Does that count?

I suppose you could also argue that because its a turbo car the turbo will eventually wear out way before a NA engine would need that level of attention. Not really a problem if you aren't keeping it for 100's of K though.

Oh yeah, you can't supercharge it :teeth:

Edited by Toon Chris

Changing gear all the time, lower rev limit means less visceral experience, less engine character, worse noises. They tend to rev slower and have much "heavier" characteristics as well so arent quite as rewarding in my experience. :)

Bear in mind the petrol engine version of the 335d still has 320hp and 414 lb/ft ......... but sounds excellent and revs much harder ;)

You get all the power delivered in one massive dollop low in the rev range. They are also very front heavy.

I've had a few fast diesels as company cars and am considering buying one at the moment.

Yes modern diesels are pretty impressive, now i have got used to my Civic, i can probably drive it quicker on B roads than i could my 350GT, even with an 07 plate it can get to 60 in just a tad over 8 seconds, and with the low RPM torque delivery it can make rapid progress even if it doesn't have the drama.

The sound. I just couldn't live with the sound. Or with the knowledge of having a 'D' on the back of my car. Irrational I know but it's the way I feel and cars are about feeling as well performance data.

Edited by sipar69

Diagnosis of faults and repair very expensive

I had a Ford Tdci which had niggling fuelling problems

Every time it went in for diagnosis/repair it was £500. I lived with the faults in the end

Set of Injectors & fuel pumps each costing around £1000

Easy to put the wrong fuel in

Exhaust particulate filters blocking up on short runs...expensive to replace

...........give me petrol every time

We've got a new 320d and that is quick enough... The 330 and 335 must be insane! Like others have said, I'm sure they'd be really fun to drive, but the noise and low rev limit are fairly disappointing.

The Alfa 159 2.4 diesel sounds quite good, and my mate races a 120d which has been stripped out and tweaked and that sounds good, it also spanks lots of faster cars round Woodbridge track. But that's partly due to the driver being a pro.

Sounds like a diesel, and doesn't rev. Noise and revs are pretty much top of the list when it comes to fun cars, so whilst these diesels are quick I would argue that they're not exactly exciting.

Rather have a slower but more fulfilling car than a quick diesel. And no way will you get 50mpg out of a 330d.

• Like 1

Who ever heard of a dieselhead?

Well I must be as I love mine :)

Yeah there is no engine or exhaust sound as it is double glazed, just means I can enjoy my music :)

At the end of the day it gets of the mark as quick as anything I have owned, handles pretty well now too and the torque is just laughable, overtaking is such fun :)

All that and even around town I never get less than 400 miles to a 60ltr tank :)

Horses for courses and I would love a V8 XKR which would certainly add the noise, but for now I will make do with my tractor :cloud9:

Sent from the golf club...

• Like 1

I had a 530d m sport and that felt quicker than the 350z

A few of the guys on here will assure you that they are not. I had a run in with a 535d and it never stood a chance. Witnessed by a few on here lol. My 118d feels more powerful than the zed down to the torque delivery, its not though. All turbo cars give this feeling.

The sound. I just couldn't live with the sound. Or with the knowledge of having a 'D' on the back of my car. Irrational I know but it's the way I feel and cars are about feeling as well performance data.

This is a lot of peoples view, but having had a diesel 'hot hatch' and now a diesel barge it is just as easy to fall in love with them as it is any other car.

If you drive a standard eco diesel they are awful, but that's not what we are talking about here ;)

Reading a lot of the negative comments in here is quite funny. I have to say i disagree with almost all of them. The noise is the only drawback, but then it's got an awesome sounding turbo which makes up for it.

I got a 2005 320d earlier this year and it's an absolutely brilliant drive. Lots of pace and torque, overtaking is a breeze, easily make progress as fast as i could in my Zed due to the torque.

• Like 2

I agree, even my 2013 118d is a fantastic car to drive! Powerful when you need it, nice car to be in and the noise isn't that bad. Some of the v6 diesels sound brilliant with sports exhausts

• Like 1

A few of the guys on here will assure you that they are not. I had a run in with a 535d and it never stood a chance. Witnessed by a few on here lol. My 118d feels more powerful than the zed down to the torque delivery, its not though. All turbo cars give this feeling.

Very true Neil, although depends what you view as 'quick'

0-60

Track

1/4 mile

50-80

normal everyday driving

Etc etc

At the end of the day if it 'feels' quicker then essentially it is ;)

The Zed never really 'felt' quick to me, even though it quite obviously was.....

Edited by spursmaddave

Very true Neil, although depends what you view as 'quick'

0-60

Track

1/4 mile

50-80

normal everyday driving

Etc etc

At the end of the day if it 'feels' quicker then essentially it is ;)

The Zed never really 'felt' quick to me, even though it quite obviously was.....

Its all about the butt dyno ;) I agree with you, some zeds don't feel fast ;) Edited by Neilp