Bonnet Pins/Catches with Carbon bonnet?

Scott TMN

Hi guys, going to install some aerocatches on a mates fiesta soon so was just looking at some youtube videos as a guide really. Came across one video and the bloke explains why you want them. He said that carbon bonnets (seibon in this case) the latch is bonded on to the carbon, and so can work looks over time (through fatigue presumably).

This concerned me a little so some random forum searches and it seemed a lot of people ran catches and people saying they know people who have been fine, and know others where it has flung up.

So just wondering how many of you running carbon bonnets have catches or not?

I think its one of them things that most cases your fine, but that doesnt sound certain enough for me aha

reason we are installing the bonnet catches to my mates car is because his bonnet flew open, caved in all his roof and everything, certainly not something you want happening. Id just be a bit scared about drilling into my new carbon bonnet lol

heres the link to the video anyway...

Got them on mine

e51f6167.jpg

On the Varis bonnet, the latch seems quite firm, even after having the bonnet for 4 - 5 years.

Installed the Aerocatches as a safety backup for bonnet fly-ups, but more because i think it looks cool :lol:

Edited by BulletMagnet

Got a seibon bonnet, got bonnet pins, but been driving about for couple of years with them sitting in my cubby compartment =/ need to fit them soon, only reason I feel safe is that I don't do silly speeds or track much but having tried the drag strip I don't feel confident in the seibon latch alone. Just need the balls to drill the holes now.

I always thought that fitting bonnet catches on carbon fibre bonnets was a given and not something that was passed over. They're not fitted purely for decoration but as a necessity.

I'm not sure if Andy's Auto Sport ships over to this country but if it does I'd be very careful about what you order as I've heard some absolute horror stories from this company regarding delivery dates and disgraceful customer service. Check out the 350Z site in the USA and you'll find customers who have been waiting up to a year for delivery and of being passed from pillar to post when trying to get their money refunded.

Edited by samsniss350z

It depends on how well the bonnet latch is embedded during the manufacturing process.

With premium brands, like my Varis one, it's very good and doesn't really need the catches.

Just depends how much lift you get while driving from wind grabbing the bonnet gap.