Spark plug coil pack (Ignition unit)

Dicky

Found this interesting following the replacement of a faulty one on my cyl 6 the other day. I decided to pull it to pieces and explore. The long tube which goes onto the plug can be pulled off revealing what looks like a long spring with a small bullet type thingy between the coil output and the spark plug. I looked at the diagrams which seem to show it as a diode. Anyway the garage tell me these diodes/ resistors are the most common bit to fail. I can't see any markings on mine and it reads just over 2K ohms in both directions so unless it's buggered it's not a diode.

Considering a new coil pack costs £110 it would be nice to identify this component and find a supplier.

Mind u on the other hand Alex can supply used coil packs quite cheap.....decisions decisions!

post-7772-0-90924400-1405185150_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dicky

Its just a suppression resistor, you can quite safely junk it and just stretch or replace the spring, or with something else conductive to make the contact, nearly all recommended spark plugs are resistor type anyway, by removing it you may or may not hear noise on the radio but i would doubt it.

Its just a suppression resistor, you can quite safely junk it and just stretch or replace the spring, or with something else conductive to make the contact, nearly all recommended spark plugs are resistor type anyway, by removing it you may or may not hear noise on the radio but i would doubt it.

Very Interesting! Looked at the diagram again and noticed the diode is internal to the coil pack.

Wish I hadn't cannibalised it now !

Just found some info that suggests these are high voltage wire wound resistors as Tricky Ricky said and are generally in the range 1k to 15k ( apparently it's not critical).

Mine measured approx 2k so I'm supposing my coil pack was in fact duff and this resistor is ok. I'll keep it to one side just in case though