Wheel bearing

KyleR

Right, I'm pretty sure I need a new near side front wheel bearing, due to hearing a whirling noise when turn right. However, I also get a buffeting sound at around 70 mph from the same wheel going straight. It sounds like something plastic has become dislodged and is buffeting off the road surface or the arch liner is rubbing off the tyre. When I slow down by about 5 mph it stops completely. But, when I pulled over to check it out, nothing is loose, not the skirt, not the arch liner, nothing, everything is solid and I have a Z Speed under tray so it's not that. :shrug:

So can it also be the wheel bearing as well? I'm puzzled!

wheel bearings and CV joints are weird intermittent things. Probably still is the wheel bearing, probably kicks in @ 70 as I imagine that's the speed the car has done the most over the majority of its life. They usually make noise at the common 30/70 mph.

Edited by Rock_Steady

definitely not the brakes? I had a noise I could have sworn was my rear wheel bearing, as it only happened when turning left, never straight ahead... turns out it was badly worn brake pads and original discs, some bits of rust and so on had got on the discs and were causing a scuffing noise. definitely worth checking.

Sounds like a wheel bearing to me, mine sounded different than others cars with bad bearings.

Also got the sound on the motorway between around 60-65mbh. I also thought it was plastic vibrating.

Bought a new one off eBay, fitted and the issue is gone.

definitely not the brakes? I had a noise I could have sworn was my rear wheel bearing, as it only happened when turning left, never straight ahead... turns out it was badly worn brake pads and original discs, some bits of rust and so on had got on the discs and were causing a scuffing noise. definitely worth checking.

Brakes did cross my mind, but I fitted new brakes all round about 2 years/5000 miles ago, but I'll certainly look at them when I get it off the ground.

Sounds like a wheel bearing to me, mine sounded different than others cars with bad bearings.

Also got the sound on the motorway between around 60-65mbh. I also thought it was plastic vibrating.

Bought a new one off eBay, fitted and the issue is gone.

This sounds encouraging, hopefully mine will be the same then :thumbs: