Avoid London Tomorrow if you can..

Grundy

I quite like London. Haven't really been there too many times despite living in close proximity, but some bits are lovely.

The museums especially, and the South Bank at Christmas was beautiful. The Academy at Brixton is one of my favourite gig venues too, although I've not seen anyone there for years.

The cabbies’ protest – to be held on Wednesday from 2pm – aims to bring the area around Trafalgar Square to a standstill and could cost London’s economy up to £125 million. Up to 12,000 taxi drivers are due to participate and they claim to be doing so because they believe Uber to be an “American monster†and “upstart cowboy†operation that is threatening their livelihoods.

Uber, I would suggest, however, offers consumers a quick, efficient and cheaper alternative to black cabs. London is a city where you cannot walk out of the door without spending a small fortune and though cab drivers don’t like it, Uber is offering just what we all demand. It is time that cab drivers accepted that their monopoly needs to be quashed and that we, the public, are right to seek out services that provide better value for money.

To be fair to the cabbies, it's not Uber itself they're protesting at, it's the way in which Uber works and tfl apparently allowing it to breach laws. The black cab drivers are saying Uber is a taximeter, which is illegal for anyone other than a black cab to use in London. I'm not going to venture into voicing an opinion on the matter, because I don't use black cabs or taxi's and I don't know enough about it, but there's a snippet below.

"The London protest was to start in Trafalgar Square at 14:00 BST (13:00 GMT), with taxi drivers arguing that the Uber mobile app, which originated in the US, was tantamount to a taxi meter, which only black cabs are legally entitled to use in London."

• Like 1

All kicked off in Trafalgar Sq.... :scare:

Police are trying to arrest the Cabbies for obstruction.. :boxing:

Is there any live news on this? I thought the police were letting them protest for an hour?

Can't find any stream/
  • Like 1