Need your Opinions please Dealer Issue!

StevoD

Hello guys can i get your opinion please

Saturday 17th of may

Head down to Steven Eagell Toyota in watford to view a Auris sr180 08 plate 63k for me dad (trading in his wrx)

When we arrive it is clearly obvious the images on the web have been shopped cars look showroom

Marks on front bumper and rear bumper to the point that the paint has been removed and the brakes are ****ed metal on metal

We do a deal on the grounds the work is done the car

and i quote from the sales guy " the Bumper will be touched up by some of the best guys in the country, it wont even be noticeable" one of the selling points for me old man

a week passes we arrive its pissing it down with rain on the following Friday 23rd

The brakes have been done but below is the result of the best in the country repair, would you call this class leading as im not a body shop man but to me that a touch up stick been dabbed on it and yes it is very noticeable, im fine with it being touched up like this as is my old man aslong as the point of it wont be noticeable stands well i can tell it not even had lacquer put on it,

10153191_10154161043565508_1304045241790088744_n.jpg

i even removed some of the paint with my thumb just by rubbing it

10178127_10154161045530508_9174971687530410443_n.jpg

and the rear bumper (which when we picked it up he said its been sprayed)

10363822_10154161048375508_4930147747276862725_n.jpg

Right now good bit, when we picked the car and spoke about are disapproval of it the sales guy said on fair enough we'll get the guy to come re do it well ring you Tuesday.

Friday night my old man was just sitting around with a face like a smacked arse really felt conned and to put cherry on top we found a massive patch of lacquer peel on the drivers wing which i think 4 of us viewing the car would have noticed and in the pic my dad took on day of viewing its not visible, So we drove from Cambridge to Watford on saturday the 24th to be there on opening and arrived before the sales guy as we also noticed one of the retractable cup holders had fail, we explained to the bloke about the laquer peel and he said well it must have been when we viewed as their are valeting guys dont use products that would do that, but says when the guy comes to do the rest he get him to repair that,

Note no phone call about paint all week

the car was booked in today to have the cup holder changed, when my dad arrives the sale guy walks up and says hows you enjoying the car and my old man explains he is far from happy with the service given, to which the guys says" o we havent been able to get hold of the paint guy but its a used car you've got to expect it to have marks", not an apology or explanation for the lack of contact

So from our point of the view the car aas bought on a promise of the paint being repaired to a standard as described of " you wont notice it" He did explain it wouldnt have the whole bumpers resprayed but what we did expect wasthe smart repair mobile guys who do the below to sort it seem steve eaglee toyota think that a touch up stick is acceptable, my old man said to them they have till next friday to sort something or we will go trading standards, i have direct contact details for mr steven eaglee him self and complain directly with toyota as it was bought as part of there toyota approved stock.

whats your guys views or advise from here

Edited by StevoD

Not acceptable.

Did you get the details of the proposed repair work in writing? i.e. what was going to be done to the car before pickup?

thats the only thing we didn't but a verble contract still stands surely i no it will be word on word but we would have bought the flipping car if it wernt

Oh no, it does absolutely, just a lot easier to prove down the line.

Technically they're correct: It's a used car and shouldn't be perfect unless you're paying top, top money. That said, I'd have done the exact same as you (and have done on all my cars) so they should stand by their word. A repair shouldn't just wipe off, no reasonable person would expect that.

Not acceptable.

Did you get the details of the proposed repair work in writing? i.e. what was going to be done to the car before pickup?

thats the only thing we didn't but a verble contract still stands surely i no it will be word on word but we would have bought the flipping car if it wernt

427252_321162254592406_1233763021_n.jpg

:D

Good luck though seriously and I agree with Dan ~ not acceptable really so hopefully they'll stick to their word & sort it. ;)

Oh no, it does absolutely, just a lot easier to prove down the line.

Technically they're correct: It's a used car and shouldn't be perfect unless you're paying top, top money. That said, I'd have done the exact same as you (and have done on all my cars) so they should stand by their word. A repair shouldn't just wipe off, no reasonable person would expect that.

well we wouldnt make such a stink if it hadnt been promised and the facts every time weve been in hes said he hasnt said o well it is what it is there is no repair just bumping it off using it as a scape goat?

i mean the cars lovely really specced up

but we paid sticker price didnt knock him down if we had known the paint would have been a muppit with a touch up stick with some form of red paint on it id have made sure there was at least 400-500 quid off to get the repairs done ourselfs

If I understand you correctly you bought the car on the basis of a promise that the marks would be professionally repaired to a not noticeable standard. A professional could easily do the work to a sufficient standard so that the repair is invisible. A chimpanzee with a crayon could do a better job than those repairs. It looks like they've just daubed touch-up paint over the marks with no preparation at all.

If you cannot get them to do the work properly I'd suggest you have a good argument to return the car and demand a refund. You had a verbal contract which they've not lived up to. A less 'nuclear' option could be to get a quote from a mobile repair outfit such as 'Chips Away' and offer to get it done yourself and then get them reimburse you (but get it agreed in writing).

The dealer can't really rely on the 'it's a used car it will have marks on it'. The issue is what was promised when you agreed to buy the car. You were promised a repair of a certain standard and that's not been delivered.

• 4 months later...

Right guys think i should update this its taken months

We ended up talking to the main sales manager of the watford branch, Several emails telling our side of the story we got an email saying a driver would be calling to come collect the car.

So thats what happened a guy came up dropped off the keys to a 14 plate auris and went in our sr180,

2 and half weeks later we get a phone call car is ready and on its way back.

car came back with all the work complete plus extra items which we didn't complain against like a dent in the bumper and a mark on the wing mirror covers.

So finally after 5-6 months we have the car we finally bought plus more

Edited by StevoD