Engine oil

tomdotc

So my zed appears to be burning oil a lot quicker than expected. Taken it down to a few garages and have been told that there could be an underlying issue which is causing it to burn oil quicker. It's an 04' UK GT 350z and currently on 72k miles. I have been topping up every 3-4 weeks or so with 5w30 but wondering whether I should try something slightly thicker? I'm not sure if this is recommended or if it will even work.

Any ideas?

If it was me I'd forget changing the oil for something thicker and just concentrate on finding out why it's burning so much more oil.

Have you tried asking any of the garages on here like Horsham Developments, Abbey Motorsport or The Cougar Store. Maybe worth a phone call or two just to see if they can point you in the right direction. ;)

Is the oil light coming on and then you are changing it, or you just checking on the dipstick?

Any smoke out the exhaust? If so what colour? Any signs of oil stains on the engine/underneath? Try laying some cardboard under the car overnight and seeing whats on it in the morning.

Im no mechanic or expert by any stretch but getting some of these answers before calling up the guys would help hone the answers they come back with.

But surely to even diagnose such a problem would require an engine rebuild? There are no leaks and have been told it is burning the oil. I've been quoted 3-4 grand for an engine rebuild and I don't have that sort of money. I will no doubt get Sly at Kaizer to check it out though but wanting other peoples opinions. Bit difficult I know but any assistance or advice is much appreciated.

No white, black or blue smoke out of exhaust, it's functioning as normal (local mechanic checked).

Edited by tomdotc

I think its valve stem seals that can go as a common cause of oil usage and burn, but this would results in blue smoke out the back.

I would speak to a couple of the aforementioned guys who can give you a more complete answer! (not saying the guys you spoken to are not competent)

Oil loss has to be leak or burn, valve guide wear, valve stem oil seals, head gasket, piston rings, bore wear etc etc

Stick you're finger in the tail pipes, is one wetter than the other ? You would expect to see smoke on hard acceleration or start up or moving off after idling for a while if it's burning

We here's another mystery, my sons Golf had an exchange Audi A3 engine fitted a few months ago. It consumes oil that's the word I'll use but NO smoke, NO leaks, it just a vanishes...!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We here's another mystery, my sons Golf had an exchange Audi A3 engine fitted a few months ago. It consumes oil that's the word I'll use but NO smoke, NO leaks, it just a vanishes...!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All the rules of science thrown out the window! Matter simply becomes nothing. Send the Golf around the Haldron Collider see what happens! ;)