Thousands Of Cars Stolen Using Hi-Tech Gadgets

My brother has the best anti theft device, it's his AEM standalone engine management system.

He parks up, unplugs it, removes it from the glovebox and takes it inside.

I used to remove my Rotor Arm years ago :) .

Edit, I went to watch a football match in Wolverhampton donkeys years ago. Got there really early and parked about half a mile from the ground. During the match the girl I was with vanished into the crowd so I waited outside the ground for a couple of minutes before I decided to go and wait for her in the car (it was freezing). Got back to my car and I couldn't find the keys, searched every pocket but no keys. Then I found them, in the car door in full view of everyone as I'd parked on the opposite side of the road. They'd been in there for 5 hours so they must be an honest lot in Wolverhampton !

Pete

Edited by JetSet

Unfortnately a very close friend had his BMW stolen early this morning, police supsect this was the method they used to drive it away. Ive just gone out and bought myself a steering lock just to be safe.

Without a key? I don't understand - I thought this device just opens the car and disable the alarm? Can they start the engine via the OBD?

The BMW OBD 'issues' are well known. The interior alarm isn't very sensitive and the OBD port can than be used to program a new key. You can buy all the kit of eBay quite legally for not much money. BMW updated the software but am pretty sure the thieves have already figured out how to bypass it. My 335 has had a Dislok on the car every night for the last 12 months.

My brother has the best anti theft device, it's his AEM standalone engine management system.

Yeah but if the crim really wants the motor, your bro then runs the risk of having his house broken into what with all the serious consequences that can have (for both him and the crim) in terms of terror and violence etc. I'm not saying people shouldn't have the right to protect their property, but a bit of common sense is needed in these circumstances. I leave my keys visible near the front door for this reason. I'm not getting hurt (or hurting someone else) over a six grand nissan.

Yeah but if the crim really wants the motor, your bro then runs the risk of having his house broken into what with all the serious consequences that can have (for both him and the crim) in terms of terror and violence etc. I'm not saying people shouldn't have the right to protect their property, but a bit of common sense is needed in these circumstances. I leave my keys visible near the front door for this reason. I'm not getting hurt (or hurting someone else) over a six grand nissan.

That is if they realise the ECU is missing in the first place ;)

In regards to the keys being visible, in my opinion, if they want it, they have to fight me for it.

I used to remove my Rotor Arm years ago :) .

Edit, I went to watch a football match in Wolverhampton donkeys years ago. Got there really early and parked about half a mile from the ground. During the match the girl I was with vanished into the crowd so I waited outside the ground for a couple of minutes before I decided to go and wait for her in the car (it was freezing). Got back to my car and I couldn't find the keys, searched every pocket but no keys. Then I found them, in the car door in full view of everyone as I'd parked on the opposite side of the road. They'd been in there for 5 hours so they must be an honest lot in Wolverhampton !

Pete

Or you had a @*!# car..... :lol:

• Like 1