XP Home

Guest prescience

Guest prescience

Does anyone know if you can activate a copy of XP Home on 2 different machines using the same product key - or does MS boot you into touch if you do. It's 2002 edition.

TIA

I think there are certain versions that do allow this from what I remember. I think allow you to have it on your desktop and your laptop for example, or at least I remember something like that.

You could check the MS website for their t's and c's I suppose before you try it.

Are you thinking of a business version of office that allows you to install the software both in work and at home?

Wouldn't think that applys to XP. XP home is as it says home edition. i.e it's unless and only works for people that don't need more advanced features like networking.

I haven't helped at all here eh.

if both pc's were the exact same spec then you might get away with it but i still doubt it :(

once you start updating/patching xp it would detect that there's 2 different machines with the same key and block you :(

if both pc's were the exact same spec then you might get away with it but i still doubt it :(

once you start updating/patching xp it would detect that there's 2 different machines with the same key and block you :(

Simple, dont update. Updating is bad! ;)

What you are proposing to do is illegal.

That said it will work fine. It will not care about it being installed on a few machines. You only hit problems when lots and lots of people try using the same key i.e. it gets released on tinternet.

There are certain keys around they can't ban due to big corps using it and it being too much work to ask them to change every machine

Simple, dont update. Updating is bad! ;)

not updating is even worse :scare:

you do know that xp is like a world sized sieve that needs the holes filling in every few days lol :)

seen too many pc's that are riddled with spyware/trojans and other nasties coz xp hasn't been updated and they've just walked in through the front door so to speak :wacko:

Ditto the above - we had a virus on our network of XP machines that cost me a massive ammount of time the day we were due to go on holiday - all because one pc was not updated.

As previously stated though using the same XP home key on 2 machines is illegal, so for obvious reasons cannot be endorsed or condoned by this forum. There are however I believe educational versions that will allow install on two machines (Microsoft assumes one at home and your laptop for university etc).

I do not know the cost of these, however a cheaper way to purchase a legitimate license is to get an oem one with a hardware upgrade from a PC supplier. We saved £100 per MS office license when we bought them with hardware (a £3 mouse with each PC was enough to satisfy the rule).

That may be one pottential avenue you could research, any local PC supplier should be able to advise :thumbs: