Tree identified thanks - Now, how do we get it out ?

ATTAK Z

Looks like Elderberry Hugh.

Edit... If you snap one of the twigs does it have a very white pithy centre ? If so then yep Elder.

+1

Use to have the same tree in the family home when I grew up :thumbs:

Thanks guys ... I just need to know the water demand for this tree so I can estimate clay shrinkage before we remove it from under the footings of the listed building shown in the photos

Hard to believe but yes, it's listed and it's my job to restore it to its former glory

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:scare: :scare: :scare:

Edited by ATTAK Z

@ ChrisS

Well done and thanks

@ Colin

I think English Heritage will be more interested in us saving the building than the LA tree officer will be in saving a nondescript tree ... hopefully sense will prevail anyway - we've got some big guns on our side

Let's hope the roots haven't gone to far under the building as it looks to be very well established.

Pete

That's the next problem Pete ... how to get it out without damaging the building ... luckily the floor of the building does not form part of the listing so we can tackle it from both sides

There are many references in folklore advising against sleeping under an elder and it has been suspected that the strong smell of elder leaves may have mildly narcotic influences.

Get sniffin' :wacko:

Let's hope the roots haven't gone to far under the building as it looks to be very well established.

Pete

That's the next problem Pete ... how to get it out without damaging the building ... luckily the floor of the building does not form part of the listing so we can tackle it from both sides

Take the wall down . . if that is not part of the listing, then prune from the bottom :lol:

• 2 months later...

Update

The tree's been taken out today; I've not seen it but it must have gone OK otherwise the contractor would've phoned me. The roots are left in but the tree will be poisoned to prevent regrowth.

Was it just an Elder? That's what I thought it was too. I believe they are called bore trees in Yorkshire. I had some taken out of the fence line when I had the drainage pipes put in and it took me ages to work out what the contractor was talking about :blush:

Actually the gang that did my job are taking out some poplars for a colleague ... had to get the leader of the council involved for permission from the planners ... I love trees but I really don't see the value of poplars

Update

The tree's been taken out today; I've not seen it but it must have gone OK otherwise the contractor would've phoned me. The roots are left in but the tree will be poisoned to prevent regrowth.

Perhaps they're buried under a pile of rubble?

• Like 1

Update

Perhaps they're buried under a pile of rubble?

:lol: I genuinely did LOL at that one :lol :lol:

• Like 1

Update

Is there any footings etc going over the top of where the roots are? if so i would be careful as the roots rot which is quite quickly, you could end up with voids.