Lower Control Arm and Coilovers DIY

Daryl

Just wondered if it was possible to fit the lower control arms and coilovers on the drive way? Iv seen one or two people have done the coilovers, but havnt seen anyone attempt the control arms before, though maybe im wrong.

Lower control arms are easy to swop out Daryl and definately a DIY.

The lower compression rods can be a bit more trickier if the bushing is seized on the chassis pin.

Alex. :)

Edited by ZMANALEX

Cheers for the response Alex. Just done a Google and is the compression rod the piece tats fixes to the Bannana arm? I had these replaced a few years back with Poly bushes from Horsham Developements. Wondering if its just worth replacing the bush in the arm, rather than the whole arm. Would be mega peaved if replaced the bush, only to find that the other bit is the problem.

If you had the bushes replaced then they should be easier to remove, the problem is the ball joint at the other end is not replaceable you have to replace the complete arm, you could take the chassis end bush out and swap it for the upgraded polly one but you need a press to do it - or a local garage with a press will usually do it for a few quid :thumbs:

Cheers Keyser, thats what was done at Horsham, they pressed a bush out, and replaced it with a poly one of some sorts, but it does sound like I need new arms, which I sort of figuered anyway. Once the garden is sorted, (and paid for), I think il sort out the coilovers and lower arms, and if iv got enough botle, have a stab at fitting all of them on my drive. Whats the worst that can happen! lol

Or maybe il book some time in with the Zed Shed and pick up a boot full of dohnuts on the way down there. Is there somewhere that can do the alignment fairly local to you?

:lol:

A boot full that's just a starter for Buster :lol:

Yes there is somewhere as Andy James had his done after we fitted his suspension - drop him a PM - there is also Mike Stokes he has a good name for motor sport setups he has done 2 of mine and I have had no issue, for my Zed I would use Jez at Horsham as it's only about and hour and a quarter away :)

I do have a press :thumbs: done them before but as Alex has said it's easy if all the bolts come undone and they are not seized on but some can be a real PITA!

Cheers for the advice Keyser. Im off to Whitstable in a month for an inlaw gathering, so thinking that maybe I can get all the work done at Kaiser, as they are not far from there, and I wont need the car, as my wife will be going down a few days before, so she will have her car there.