Retractable Licence Plate

Fluke

Some **** managed to scrape the side of my front bumper whilst I was parked up at work. I could just get the front sprayed, but for a while now I have been debating removing my front plate, having the front smoothed over and a retractable plate fitted.

My plan was to fit the retractable plate so that it retracts when the car alarm is armed and displays when the car alarm is unarmed. My intention is not to dodge speed camera's, I just thought the plate retracting would look cool, as well as improving the look of the front end.

I tried searching the net for answers to a few questions I have regarding the legality of not displaying a number plate whilst parked, but havent really found an answer. I had a look at the DVL website and it states that:

"Number plates (also known as licence plates) should show your vehicle registration number correctly. You can’t rearrange letters or numbers, or alter them so that they’re hard to read."

I cant find any mention of having to display a number plate whilst parked on the road, but there seem to be a few scare stories of the Police nicking people for perverting the course of justice, just for have a retractable plate.

I know that few members on here have them installed, have you had any hassle from the Police?

What are people oppinions on fitting a retractable plate?

I think they look cool and are certainly a good idea for shows. I can see why the police would take exception to them though. I can't see it being an issue if it was parked on your drive without it being displayed, but on a public road I'm pretty sure you could get into trouble. It screams like you're trying to hide something... But I'd hope all other road crime had been punished solved before the police moved onto retractable licence plates!

I too have spent some time looking into this, still haven't a clue if im allowed to park up in a carpark with my plate retracted. Best answer iv got is it depends on the officer.

When i go to a meet/cruise thing I always have the plate up as I worry too much to put it down, I only ever really put it down if im taking a quick photo. All my mates say to me leave it down but I worry to much to leave it :lol:

Cant see why it would be a problem parked up though, obviously as soon as your driving as long as its displayed..?

It's as simple as;

On private property, you can put the number plate wherever you see fit.

On public property, it should be displayed correctly (it doesn't matter if you're driving the car or not). That is not to say that by not displaying it you're guaranteed to get a ticket, but you're certainly allowing the opportunity to.

I couldn't find any 'written' legal information about these other than the usual - plates must be displayed at all times when on the public highway blah, blah, blah. BUT, police officers/traffic cops DO NOT LIKE THEM and will come down hard on you if they catch you using one!