What year is my used JDM Fairlady Z - Help?

jamess115

Hi folks - I recently purchased a JDM Fairlady Z (ST Model) from a trader & im trying to establish the year of manufacture. Here is what I know: It was registered in this country as a 2010 after being shipped in from Japan with 3,800KM. I do know that the 350Z was produced until 2009 and the later versions were the Nizmo models. The engine has one air inlet rather than two and is placarded as Z33. The engine type is a VQ35DE which makes me think it may be a 55/06 year as the HR versions were 07/08. However, I believe the VQ35DE was also in production for the 350Z in 2007. My question is whether there is anyway to absolutely pinpoint what year the car is? Thank you

3,800KM That is delivery mileage :lol: what is it at now?

No idea how you get an exact year VQ35DE is 02 (JDM) to 06 with a couple of late registered 07's having them.

Not even sure if you can do it by VIN if not a UK car :shrug:

EDIT: Import certificate usually show original date of manufacture - suppose you didn't get that?

Edited by Keyser

You purchased a car and don't know what year of manufacture it is?

It could be 12 years old.... Or 8 years old.... That could make quite a difference to its value. You must have really liked it, or got it cheap to not care at the time of purchase.

I know this is going to be a stupid question, and I'm sure there are a few lurkers thinking the same but wont ask for obvious reasons....

'Why can't we find out from the Reg plate?'

Shall I just grab my coat now?

• Like 2

I know this is going to be a stupid question, and I'm sure there are a few lurkers thinking the same but wont ask for obvious reasons....

Yes please grab your coat - nothing to do with the question just want you to leave :p:lol:

The plates can be deceptive on imports - they should be right but can be a year early (I had one) I also had a problem with a 2003 import that when I went to TAX it the DVLA OnLine they had it as a 2006 (wanted more than it should be) they were using the year of import not manufacture.More confusing as it had an 03 plate on it :headhurt:

I'm sure Clark can find out though :thumbs:

• Like 1

Right so you have bought a car imported in 2010. And the reg number, unless its on a private plate, will give you the age. If you have the logbook it will tell you date of manufacture as well as date as import... Also you should have been provided with an HPI report if you bought from a trader. If you didn't you should have done your own. The HPI will tell you the actual year. I agree with other members in the fact that you should have known this before you bought it, making a real big difference to the price!! What's reg, I'll HPI for you!

Thank you for responses. I am waiting for logbook to arrive from DVLA. The HPI does not state year of manufacture - only year of import. Very simply, I bought the car because I liked it. However, its human nature for people to have their opinions on what I 'should' have done beforehand. Im not complaining, just want to establish the year of the car. A few more details - the rear tail lights are LED cluster, full leather + version S Spec and no twin air intake (2006 model I think) thanks boyzzzz

Thank you for responses. I am waiting for logbook to arrive from DVLA. The HPI does not state year of manufacture - only year of import. Very simply, I bought the car because I liked it. However, its human nature for people to have their opinions on what I 'should' have done beforehand. Im not complaining, just want to establish the year of the car. A few more details - the rear tail lights are LED cluster, full leather + version S Spec and no twin air intake (2006 model I think) thanks boyzzzz

Tbf all those could and probably have been fitted from the prev owner. So still wouldn't give you an accurate year.

Scary that you bought a car with out knowing the age as that has a huge impact on the price. I.e. if you bought a UK Zed and Paid 10k for it, Thinking it was a 08/09 plate, but then turns out to be 03.... :surrender:

Ye' get you coat Grundy..As per Keyser said. ;)

• Like 1

Ye' get you coat Grundy..As per Keyser said. ;)

Sorry guys, although I feel regardless of the question, you just want me to leave :(

I just find it odd that a car gets imported and doesn't get given an accurate Reg :lol:

• Like 1