Long term projects...

grahamc

Any interesting long term classic/semi classic projects being done?

I have a few I want, but sadly the bank balance does not match my wants :( I am also lacking in space to store them

1970s Nissan Skyline - Hakosuka

1970s Datsun 240z

1960s Ford Mustang - Eleanor

1990s Mercedes G Wagon

1970s Prosche 911 - RSR replica

What LeonK said. Once you start working on something you`ll find all sorts of hidden costs and end up spending a fortune.

Ive a few projects in my garage - a 1987 Renault 5 GT Turbo, a couple of old Mini`s incl a Mini Cooper as well as some motorbikes. Problem I have is just finding the time to work on them, so they are all pretty much on the back burner atm, probably until I retire at this rate. I did manage to spend some time on a couple of my motorbikes last year so they are MOT`d and on the road, but thats about it really.

Ive always fancied a late 70`s Lotus Esprit and a 77 Bandit Transam. Unfortunately with the trans ams they seem to have rocketed up in price over the last few years so by the time I get the time/space to buy one it will probably cost me an arm & a leg.

Currently restoring an E type roadster, pics and bit of a thread on here.Don't underestimate the cost in time and money to do it right. All I can say is think of a budget, double it and then double it again.

awesome..... link?

budget is the big thing.... I just usually add a zero :(

What LeonK said. Once you start working on something you`ll find all sorts of hidden costs and end up spending a fortune.

Ive a few projects in my garage - a 1987 Renault 5 GT Turbo, a couple of old Mini`s incl a Mini Cooper as well as some motorbikes. Problem I have is just finding the time to work on them, so they are all pretty much on the back burner atm, probably until I retire at this rate. I did manage to spend some time on a couple of my motorbikes last year so they are MOT`d and on the road, but thats about it really.

Ive always fancied a late 70`s Lotus Esprit and a 77 Bandit Transam. Unfortunately with the trans ams they seem to have rocketed up in price over the last few years so by the time I get the time/space to buy one it will probably cost me an arm & a leg.

defintely agree and I know that they will take massive money and time, just trying to decide which to go for, etc.

I have an 86 Mini on hold and when/if I get that finished the next project is a 350 Roadster, not a classic but still a project :)

what happened to the Datsun Z that you picked up on here??

A 1927 Austin ulster with a tiny supercharger and a racing works engine.

Should be back on the road this year fingers crossed.

how long has it taken?

The 260, that was a while ago - I didn't have the space at the time so it went to a friend who restored it enough to get it on the road and MOT'd he was using it as a daily :)

Unfortunately he hit a rough patch and split with his partner, had to move and no longer had a garage so he sold it on. It went to a buyer in Saudi but via a concourse restoration garage apparently a £20K complete ground up rebuild - but I never saw or heard about it after they collected it from my mate :(

The 260, that was a while ago - I didn't have the space at the time so it went to a friend who restored it enough to get it on the road and MOT'd he was using it as a daily :)

Unfortunately he hit a rough patch and split with his partner, had to move and no longer had a garage so he sold it on. It went to a buyer in Saudi but via a concourse restoration garage apparently a £20K complete ground up rebuild - but I never saw or heard about it after they collected it from my mate :(

Thats a shame..... at least it got built!!

Now that I`m not working and got plenty of time on my hands and the weather is getting a little warmer I`m determined to get the MGF back on the road that`s just been sitting in the garage for the last 5 years. Made first start last week with a new battery but further progress will now be interrupted by 2 weeks in the Dominican Republic - roll on Wednesday morning ...... :)

Currently restoring an E type roadster, pics and bit of a thread on here.Don't underestimate the cost in time and money to do it right. All I can say is think of a budget, double it and then double it again.

awesome..... link?

http://www.350z-uk.c...-dec-23rd-2013/

Last update Dec 23rd, didn't realise it was that long ago. But as others have said, time is a big factor for me. I've given up on setting a completion date, though I would like to at least get the shell etc painted this year. Just as an example of costs spiraling, the general quide to whether the space frame front end is ok is to shake them and see if they rattle, ie small flakes of rust inside the tubing. ( you can have them x rayed as well ) The frames themselves will look absolutely fine but are weakened by the internal rust. Do you risk such an important part of the structure of the car? Can you check them while still on the car......... no. Guess what mine rattle when removed. No problem they are only £2,500. :surrender: Bonnet £6,000 :surrender: You get the idea :lol: and the annoying thing is it's not like treating yourself to nice shiny bits, it's all extra money to be found from somewhere for stuff you didn't intend replacing. Hutsons and even more so Eagle, will tell you that to restore an E type properly now will cost you somewhere in the region of £100k.

Any interesting long term classic/semi classic projects being done?

I have a few I want, but sadly the bank balance does not match my wants :( I am also lacking in space to store them

1970s Nissan Skyline - Hakosuka

1970s Datsun 240z

1960s Ford Mustang - Eleanor

1990s Mercedes G Wagon

1970s Prosche 911 - RSR replica

Would love a nice classic project, if i had the time and cash and space (although not a classic) i would like to do another Rx7 build, but it would be from the ground up so i wasnt completely paranoid of things going wrong, best of the best parts wise but still staying twin turbo :)

how long has it taken?

Don't ask lol, it was the first car dad owned. It was on the road for a long time but has been up in the garage sitting idle for too long so I want to help change that. Here is a pic in its hayday

pl1629.jpg

And here's dad doing a charity event from lands end to john o groats

DSCN0070.jpg

Wonder if the zed shed will be able to help me sought this one out lol

Edited by Will370z
  • Like 5

awesome..... link?

Last update Dec 23rd, didn't realise it was that long ago. But as others have said, time is a big factor for me. I've given up on setting a completion date, though I would like to at least get the shell etc painted this year. Just as an example of costs spiraling, the general quide to whether the space frame front end is ok is to shake them and see if they rattle, ie small flakes of rust inside the tubing. ( you can have them x rayed as well ) The frames themselves will look absolutely fine but are weakened by the internal rust. Do you risk such an important part of the structure of the car? Can you check them while still on the car......... no. Guess what mine rattle when removed. No problem they are only £2,500. :surrender: Bonnet £6,000 :surrender: You get the idea :lol: and the annoying thing is it's not like treating yourself to nice shiny bits, it's all extra money to be found from somewhere for stuff you didn't intend replacing. Hutsons and even more so Eagle, will tell you that to restore an E type properly now will cost you somewhere in the region of £100k.

Nice will read the project thread tomorrow

how long has it taken?

Don't ask lol, it was the first car dad owned. It was on the road for a long time but has been up in the garage sitting idle for too long so I want to help change that. Here is a pic in its hayday

pl1629.jpg

And here's dad doing a charity event from lands end to john o groats

DSCN0070.jpg

Wonder if the zed shed will be able to help me sought this one out lol

WOW!!!!

I'm desperate to get involved on a project but have no space, trying to remedy that with a house, but imagine that might chomp up some of DI. Nothing amazing just a track toy would be ace. I'm going to Florida later this year, I'd hate to find an old muscle car and have to ship it back to the UK :ninja:

I'm desperate to get involved on a project but have no space, trying to remedy that with a house, but imagine that might chomp up some of DI. Nothing amazing just a track toy would be ace. I'm going to Florida later this year, I'd hate to find an old muscle car and have to ship it back to the UK :ninja:

That should be relatively easy to do ;)

awesome..... link?

awesome build, some very pricey work there!! I know 911 porsches are the same....

been offered a rather decent 280z :) which I am giving serious thought to - only downside is LHD, but its been in the same family since 1977 :D no rust, no respray