Has anyone taken their Zed on track?

zabba

I've had my Zed since August last year and until recently hadn't really gelled with it. But over the past couple of weekends I've had some great drives in it, including up to the pistonheads sunday service at Silverstone yesterday. I think I just didn't get enough time or have the weather over the winter to drive it enough.

Anyway I'm tempted to take it on track to see if that gives me more use out of the car. I don't intend to be setting any lap times in it, more just a chance to drive the car quickly and learn some different tracks. I've tracked Type-R's before, and compared to these the Zed is a heavy beast.

I just want it to perform reasonably well and not have any issues on track such as brake fade. Therefore as a starter I intend to get braided brake lines and new pads and discs up front. It had new pagid discs and brembo pads fitted last year and haven't been that impressed with them on the road, so can't see them doing very well on track. Are Ferodo DS2500 pads and DBA 4000 discs up to it? I don't want to spend more money on brakes only to find they can't cope with a couple of track days a year. Also, I have Motul RBF600 fluid, does this cope ok with track use?

It's recently had a proper wheel alignment and full service, is there anything else I should be doing before taking it on track? Also any advice from people who have tracked their 350z would be very welcome :)

I've had mine on track in Mondello. My biggest concern was the brakes as the track in general is very heavy on tires and brakes- I was running OEM pads and discs. I cooked them very quickly! I think DS2500 pads would be ideal but with this I would use uprated brake fluid and braided lines.

Grippy tyres, braided brake lines, RBF600 fluid and decent discs + pads and you're good to go. :)

Thanks all for responses, had a bit of a search and there seem to many different opinions on brakes. As for tyres I have Falkens on it at the moment, which I suspect won't be great, but will be happy to see how they perform as they have quite a bit of tread left!

The standard set up faded massively for me; DBA front discs, Yellowstuff pads, HEL lines and RBF600 fluid and they are perfect now as others have already suggested :thumbs:

Have a similar set up perfectly fine for taster sessions etc tracked at Cadwell Park (very tight track manly for bikes) and Donnington that quite a few from this forum like to use.