An accident that makes you think ....

WoREoD

Early yesterday evening I was on my way in to Henley-on-Thames when slowed by the emergency services for an accident situation. On the nearside was a mini-bus with rear damage, but on the offside, well off the road, were the remains of a red car. It was in two halves, a good 40m apart. Horrendous!

I didn’t really notice the rear part thinking it was a large piece of debris from the incident, but when I saw the front it was completely severed immediately behind the front seats.

I got to view the accident again half an hour later after I’d collected the friend I was on my way to, and from the opposite view I could see the airbags had gone off in the front half, but that the rear section was totally unrecognisable as the rear of a car. I guess it had gone off the road and then hit one of the trees that line this section of road (albeit they are 10m back from the carriageway).

No idea of the casualties but no doubt it will be reported in the local news in due course. Also no idea of the make or model of the red car. Small, probably hatchback is my best guess (the front of car was quite damaged and no badges obvious)

Really made me think about vehicle strength, and the implications of a big one. Years ago I was second man in a rally car that tackled a tree head-on at about 80mph. The only things that saved us were helmets, and full harness seat belts. I just hope the occupants were helped by the airbags, etc.

Early yesterday evening I was on my way in to Henley-on-Thames when slowed by the emergency services for an accident situation. On the nearside was a mini-bus with rear damage, but on the offside, well off the road, were the remains of a red car. It was in two halves, a good 40m apart. Horrendous!

I didn’t really notice the rear part thinking it was a large piece of debris from the incident, but when I saw the front it was completely severed immediately behind the front seats.

I got to view the accident again half an hour later after I’d collected the friend I was on my way to, and from the opposite view I could see the airbags had gone off in the front half, but that the rear section was totally unrecognisable as the rear of a car. I guess it had gone off the road and then hit one of the trees that line this section of road (albeit they are 10m back from the carriageway).

No idea of the casualties but no doubt it will be reported in the local news in due course. Also no idea of the make or model of the red car. Small, probably hatchback is my best guess (the front of car was quite damaged and no badges obvious)

Really made me think about vehicle strength, and the implications of a big one. Years ago I was second man in a rally car that tackled a tree head-on at about 80mph. The only things that saved us were helmets, and full harness seat belts. I just hope the occupants were helped by the airbags, etc.

The fact that it severed completely in half makes me wonder if it was a cut'n'shut.....

Guest prescience
Early yesterday evening I was on my way in to Henley-on-Thames

Coming in for the regatta fireworks or just passing through? Latter not a good option on Regatta Saturday ;)

Just checked your post and WOW how did you manage to get in and out of Henley in 1/2 hour B)

Sounds like a baddie :thumbdown: checked on Berks and Oxfordshire BBC sites (Henley being on border) and no mention - sign of the times :dry:

Guest prescience
Aprroaching from Nettlebed and going out the Marlow Road. 7-7.30pm. I was worried I might have to go via Fawley but straight(!) through both directions.

Cut and Shut? I wondered that too...

On the Fair Mile then?

Yeah. At the beginning, close to the new-ish traffic island. One can only surmise that someone had come stonking down the dual carriageway only to have someone from the left turn slip out in front of them......

Guest prescience

Yeah. That road has never seen excessive speed from a S/C Z ;) but once you let it hang out around the long left hander down the dual carriageway, you need to back off AFTER the speed notifier before the left hand turn to Stonor (the one outside AIT) because its curtains if you keep on full throttle around the right hander before the left hand turn :thumbdown:

Yeah. That road has never seen excessive speed from a S/C Z ;) but once you let it hang out around the long left hander down the dual carriageway, you need to back off AFTER the speed notifier before the left hand turn to Stonor (the one outside AIT) because its curtains if you keep on full throttle around the right hander before the left hand turn :thumbdown:
I have no idea what you just said, but it seemed cool B)

Accident sounds nasty, I did hear about it.

I was in Henley from midday Saturday and didn't recognise my own reflection by the time I got home at 1.30 Sunday morning. Think I saw some fireworks..... :blush:

Guest prescience

I was in Henley from midday Saturday and didn't recognise my own reflection by the time I got home at 1.30 Sunday morning. Think I saw some fireworks..... :blush:

We were down by the river watching too - you weren't dancing a jig on the boardwalk by the river were you :p Fireworks were pretty good :thumbs:

Off to the festival next Saturday - bib and tucker B)

We were down by the river watching too - you weren't dancing a jig on the boardwalk by the river were you :p Fireworks were pretty good :thumbs:

I was in the BArn BAr from about 6 and it was there I managed to cause serious levels of head pain for my Sunday. Could've been dancing, no idea!! I don't usually go that far but needed a release! :yahoo::yahoo:

Guest prescience

I was in the BArn BAr from about 6 and it was there I managed to cause serious levels of head pain for my Sunday. Could've been dancing, no idea!! I don't usually go that far but needed a release! :yahoo::yahoo:

Delighted to hear you observed correct protocol and turned up way after all the rowing was over B)

It knocks you cold when you see something like that doesn't it. I used to do a bit of motor sport in my youth and I've stuffed 13 cars, mostly Minis, but they are surprisingly strong so for a car to come in half like that would suggest it may well have been damaged before - a cut and shut like the other chap said maybe ?

They shouldn't be on the road. I have a dodgy neighbour who buys damaged cars directly from Insurance companies, repairs them quickly and sells them "cheap" on Auto Trader from his house. If you run a HPI check on the car it will come up clear, but a few weeks later it will suddenly appear as damaged when HPI catches up - HPI can be a couple of months behind. He is a very dodgy man and we have often seen irate customers shouting in the street a few weeks after they bought their cars when someone points out the damage they never saw.

I've eaten at the Hotel du Vin - Excellent, and good location (former Henley Brewery!).

Which concert are you doin? Jools Holand's piano skills are awesome - just not keen on the bloke!

I'm seeing him at Oakley Hall soon. Saw him and Courtney Pine (sp?) at my freshers ball at uni and they were awesome :thumbs:

Guest prescience
H5 & Prescience:

Are either of you two going to this:

http://www.thebestof.co.uk/henley-on-th ... ents/66322

Aparrantly someone (Mrs Sarnie) think it'll be good :blush: Stayin at the Hotel Du Vin that night :D

The Jools concert was apparently very good last year and Stonor Park is a lovely place and hotel is B) Do it - might see you there - Mrs Prescience is keen :D

Currently been roped into this though

http://www.henley-festival.co.uk/progra ... urday.html

the description is a bit up itself, but seeing as this should hopefully be our last year in Henley - we need to go to the Festival at least once :thumbs: