Just brought my zed, got a problem allready. Advice please?

Rocky4510

I test drove it, understood that there was a knocking noise coming from the rear which was the rear drop links and a couple of other bits that need sorting and I paid the money and drove off. 20 minutes of driving later the engine management light comes on :/

Not 100% sure what I should do, I have told him that I'm not happy that the light has suddenly popped up, but he rekon she has never seen the light before and he's surprised.

My plan is to take it to a garage first thing in the morning and plug it in a computer, get a receipt of the costs to fix it, go back to his house and ask for the money to pay for the light to be sorted or a full refund. And if he refuses I will threaten to take him to small claims court.

Is this the best thing I can do or should I try resolve it another way? I'm at a hotel 2 hours from home so I'd like to sort this asap to save me traveling back to Wolverhampton

Just get it plugged into a code reader and retrieve the code/codes and keep a note of them.

Then clear the codes and see if the EML comes on again.

Post up here the codes and we will tell you what the issue is and the cost.

Once we have that information we will be able to give you informed advice on the next step.

Alex. :)

• Like 2

Welcome along sorry to hear about your Z . I've learnt the hard way never to pay for a car that is not working 100% . If you payed cAsh he can just turn around and tell you to Get lost. That's the only problem with getting privet cars .. I would ring the AA or any brake down service you are with and see if they can look at it for you :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello mate,

I take this is a private sale? If so then you need to tread carefully as you don't have same legal protection as you do when buying from a dealer, so take care before trying to hit the previous owner with bills and threats of court.

Hopefully he will do the honourable thing and help to sort out the issue you may have.

Good luck.

^^ +1 to all of the above. It could be something & nothing Rocky4510.

Has the car any mods done to it like de-cats of high flow cats? Could just be an 02 sensor playing up in that case.

You really need the code read as Alex mentioned above ~ it could be an underlying issue which the previous owner knew about and he just cleared the light before the sale or it could just be totally innocent on his part and unlucky that somethings gone wrong for you on your way home.

If it was me id be sending you off my porch with the receipt up your arse if you tried to bill me for it.

Really is a case of tough luck and hopefully will be feck all.

Lets bear in mind unless the guy has an OBDII reader he couldnt just turn the light off that easily before you came to pick it up.

Maybe its not had a good run for a while. Could just need a good lamping to clear it out.......obviously DO NOT do this until you read the codes.

If it was me id be sending you off my porch with the receipt up your arse if you tried to bill me for it.

Lets bear in mind unless the guy has an OBDII reader he couldnt just turn the light off that easily before you came to pick it up.

Maybe its not had a good run for a while. Could just need a good lamping to clear it out.......obviously DO NOT do this until you read the codes.

Not true Ricey ~ remember you can do the pedal dance (ECU reset) and this will clear the light. Just saying. ;)

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/53148-how-to-ecu-accelerator-pedal-throttle-valve-resets/

Cheers guys, yes it's a private sale and I'm in Wolverhampton.

I understand that the guy can just tell me to do one, but yeah I'm just hoping he's a decent enough to sort me out, but I do believe he is hiding something.

I'll do my best to get it plugged in first thing tomorrow and post the results, any advice would be mucky appreciated

Not true Ricey ~ remember you can do the pedal dance (ECU reset) and this will clear the light. Just saying. ;)

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/53148-how-to-ecu-accelerator-pedal-throttle-valve-resets/

Bugger forgot about that!

Another question... On the last mot it was advised 'cross member center/rear corroded/damaged' I have absolutely no idea what this is lol, can anyone inform me?

Its the W brace - they all rust and look bad. normally nothing that a wire brush and a can of hammerite won't sort out ;)

Another question... On the last mot it was advised 'cross member center/rear corroded/damaged' I have absolutely no idea what this is lol, can anyone inform me?

Its the W brace - they all rust and look bad. normally nothing that a wire brush and a can of hammerite won't sort out ;)

Thanks keyser, hopefully not too big of a job then :). Time to find a garage to see and find out what the problem is :(

Don't sweat that, exact same advisory on mine when I bought her. As above!

• Like 1

http://www.350z-uk.c...e-valve-resets/

Have you tried doing it? Took me nearly an hour one day :lol:

http://www.350z-uk.c...e-valve-resets/

I got it first time just saying :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The first few times I tried it just couldn't get it right. Used a clock with a seconds hand and still couldn't get it right! :rant:

Then the next time I tried it I just counted in my head and got it first time. :lol:

Have done it several times now and always seem to get it first time now. Hopefully when I get my re-map done I'll never have to do it again though. ;)

• Like 1