Connecting iPad Mini to Audison Processor - many questions

Wasso

Okay needing some high end Audio assistance.

The plan is to use a iPad Mini as my audio source which will mean ditching my head unit which I'm comfortable with as I want to turn my signal into a digital feed.

I follow Soundman in the US and he's already made a kit for the iPad mini and has stumbled across issues with the retina version. He previously used an i20 dock and doctored it for it to run off a 12v supply. Now as he's written this off and currently looking for a solution, I just wondered if anyone here has any ideas on how to hook up my requirements.

So the iPad retina will be dash mounted, and needs to connect to one of the Audison processors. This could be either the BitOne or BitTen, either way I'm struggling to find the best connectivity.

The iPad must be able to charge and output a digital signal.

I was wondering if the iPad AV Adapter would do the job but don't want to spend a fortune on bits that won't deliver the solution......

So what's ya thoughts??

Thanks Kyle at least one helpful idea :lol:

There's a couple of cars I've found on the net in the UK that have done the pre retina, but not the retina. Apparently there is a slight difference with the link in and out with these. Annoying to say the least.

I'm in talks at the minute with a company in America that is currently designing a suitable piece of kit, but they don't even know themselves when they will get this to the masses.

I guess this isn't going to be as quick as I first thought..... :(

http://www.soundwavesoftampa.com/photo_gallery.html?Cat=3

Contact them, they might have a solution.

I'd say Soundman CA is one step further with installing the retina and finding an issue. Thing is they're inundated with enquiries due to their youtube channel.

The company I'm in touch with has a solution, just not built yet :lol:

Why can't you run the iPad mini through a reference head unit which has a digital out to the audison. PS make sure you get your audison properly calibrated. Takes between half to a full day.

Problem is I want to retain my factory satnav as backup. The plan is to use the ipad for satnav but I'm sure network restrictions could pose an issue, so a backup will be my oem satnav.

So my headunit will be replaced with this.....

Although I'll not be using the slide mount version. They've developed one that you pop in slide left/right and it connects to the lightning cable. A nice piece if kit but not cheap!

Edited by Wasso

So how will the satnav running on a ipad work if it doesn't have connectivity? I'm presuming GPS?

:lol:

Is this really Wasso typing here? :scare:

Yes, iPad Mini has GPS, like the iPhones and iPads :)

Not necessarily; you haven't mentioned whether you have a wifi or wifi+cellular model - only the cellular iPad mini has GPS built in to it, the wifi only model does not. So if you were hoping to use an offline map on a wifi only iPad, or tether the wifi iPad to your phone to give it an internet connection, then this won't work. So not a stupid question after all Wasso :)

Sorry should have said, yes it's the one with cellular facility, which is what I specified to the Mrs so to use the net and satnav.

I noticed this is mentioned in that link Adrian "Assisted GPS" - wtf is that?! lol

Right, so in effect the ipad mini will still be able to track my location via gps, but aided by the cellular network when the signal gets bad. So the tom tom unit would be perfect then.

Okay, so in effect I could do without the SatNav, which is a good thing, because I may have struggled to install the ipad mini where my double din currently resides.

So in effect I could just connect my ipad mini to a USB input into the headunit and still receive digital audio, and charge the ipad as well.

Okay so that means getting a new headunit, but I'm not fussed about that, although I like the JVC it's a bit old and could do with an update.

So the routing goes like this.....

iPad mini > Head Unit

Head Unit > Audison

Audison > Amp's

If this is right I'll start heading out to find a suitable head unit!! (See there's help there after all :lol: )