Tank size and filling problems

Red_Nic

my fuel gauge is terrible. the other day it was screaming bloody murder at me to put some petrol in, (DTE had been on '----' for 20 miles) but i'd only done 330 miles on the tank, and my mpg reading suggested i should be good for over 400.

Sure enough, when i filled up yesterday could only get 58 litres in, so still had 22 in the tank :dry:

Nowadays i reset the mpg reading at every fill up, and as long as its above 26mpg i know i can do 400 miles, regardless of what the fuel guage and DTE reading may be telling me!

That sounds really risky! I wouldn't dare base it on just that calculation. But I do see where u r coming from.

what about the times when u put ur foot down coming out of a roundabout etc, ur calculation doesn't take that into account.

I would be too scared of running out of petrol completely. That would really be an inconvenient day for me! Hehe

cant argue with maths - next time you fill up, reset the trip computer and work out your actual mpg, and then its a simple calculation to work out how far you can actually go on an 80 litre tank - assuming you drive in the same style.

i find the mpg reading is pretty accurate - been ignoring the fuel gauge and dte reading for about a year now, never had a problem, as long as you reset the trip computer and mpg reading at each fill up.

• Like 1