Thinking of buying a 350z.

Hi, my name is Billy. I currently have a Stage 1 06 Focus ST, but have recently moved down to Portsmouth from Wales to live so as to secure a promotion.

I've kept the ST at home in Wales for now. I was going to sell it and replace it with a performance diesel, but knew I would always miss having all of that power on tap.

My Father (being a mechanic) has suggested I get a cheap disel (he has his eye on a VW Bora 1.9 tdi at the moment which I could buy), for use up in Portsmouth and for coming back and forth to visit family and friends in Wales. I could then keep my ST in Wales as a weekend car.

However, I've had the ST for 5 years and was thinking that if I was going to have a car kept in Wales for fun, then I could try out a sports car and leave a cover over it for when I'm down in Portsmouth working. I've always fancied a 350z, so thought now might be a good time to look at one.

My ST is worth about 7000 pounds privately, is this good money to put towards a 350z and what sort of example could I hope to get with that kind of money?

Also, is there anything that I should note when buying? The fuel economy seems comparable to the ST, insurance is slightly cheaper too, and I've heard that the V6 lumps are reliable, plus I'll only be doing around 3000 miles a year in it (if that!).

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks. Bill.

Bill you will love the change from an ST believe me,

7k will get you a nice example with the GT pack, which includes heated electric seats, bose sound system, cruise control. Also look for a car with the rays alloys, all uk cars had the brembo brake setup.

There are 3 models of Z and 7k will get you into the first 2.

03-05 DE engine 276bhp, most torque

06-07 Revup engine 296bhp, less torque but more revs then DE

07+ HR engine 309bhp more revs, more torque than Revup less than DE

Revups are known for drinking oil and from 05 onwards if I recall right its the higher tax band £400+

I wouldn't get to hung up on which engine to go for, yes technically the HR is the better lump but they all deliver a great driving experience

I would simply go on what is the best condition and looked after, take a drive in a few fella to get the idea of how they feel.

Good luck you will love it, and good luck keeping zeditis at bay :lol:

• Like 1

Thank you Arran, that's a comprehensive reply.

I might stick with the earlier type and save on the tax, unless I find a later version for a good price.

It's that V6 sound, 280 bhp and rear wheel drive that draws me to them, coupled with the decent insurance and price!

The ST is now on Ebay for sale anyway, so I'll see how that gets on.

Just wondering, is there much difference in terms of performance and handling between the Coupe and Roadster? I prefer the Coupe, but there is an immaculate red Roadster for sale in South Wales, so I'm not ruling out looking at one if the price / spec is right.

Thanks, Billy.

I suppose it all depends on what you want if it driving then its the coupe but if its a mix of both then roadster. To me the only advantage the roadster has over the coupe is hearing that glorious noise on a sunny day.

I've been a mates old orange st with stage 1 mods, map and exhaust etc and I still found the Z a completely different experience in terms of driving and performance its so much more rewarding and special.

I doubt you'd get the HR model with 7k but tbh I wouldn't worry about it. A modified DE with a few mods will make just as much as a HR (which is quite commonly known not to make the full 309bhp anyway). If you were going the turbo/supercharged route then the HR would be better as its stronger internally.

With a few choice mods the Zs really wake up whilst retaining that great all round versatility. Excellent on long runs (I did a ring and stelvio 2000 mile round trip last june and that's the point where I realised the Z really does have it all), great daily driver and then thanks you for taking it round a track or a fast road blast.

Plus the looks and attention they get is pretty awesome.

• Like 1

:welcome: Nice looking Focus btw!

The only thing I would say is that coming from a 270+ bhp turbo car, the Zed probably won't feel as quick as you don't get the massive dump of power from the turbo. The Zed is deceptively fast because the power is smooth and linear and available throughout the rev range. Just something to bear in mind when you test drive as the Zed might feel slow... it really isn't! :thumbs: