Built N/A block VS Supercharged?

r37

Right:

Ive had a bit of cash burning a hole in my pocket and im looking at doing something special to the Z.

Ive had the idea of building an N/A block with Forged internals, new cams, hi comp pistons, gas-flowed head/ect. General opinion on this is that 350WHP is possible with the right mods + tune. It might not match the power of a supercharger kit but the redline can be moved up to 8k and it will rev like no tomorrow so will be much more responsive. I looked up prices/labour ect and it comes to roughly the same as a supercharger build which got me thinking. The supercharger will be easier to fit thanks to not having to rip the block apart and will make a little bit more power which might offset how revvy the N/A build would be. But wouldnt be as reliable as an N/A build and could blow the engine at random leaving me with a bigger bill. The third option would be to mix them, get reasonable cams and lower comp pistons installed for a decent power gain N/A then get the supercharger fitted at a later date and maybe hit 500WHP or whatever.

There is very little info about N/A builds, only ones they people with very very deep pockets have built and can experiment with setups whereas supercharger builds are fairly common and have massive support available which makes it easier in the long term as my pockets arnt as deep as id like.

My question really is if anyone has experience with both of these side by side, or any advise they would like to throw into the pot. At the minute im leaning towards N/A as im not a fan of forced induction and an 8k redline sounds epic but for simplicity and power can you beat a supercharger build?

Unless you are a die hard fan of the VQ engine and still want NA, then I'd look at an engine swap over a NA build. It'd work out cheaper and with something like an LSx engine you'd have 400+hp outta the box in NA form.

SC has been done many time. It's well supported, cheapish, loads of info around. £10k will get you a good sc build

Very much depends on what you want from the engine, ultimately.

Personally I can very much see the fun to be had from a lovely revvy engine, which is why the HR remains the more fun car for me even if it didn't have the better power number. As such, it might be a better idea to sell your current car, get a HR and go from there. That way you're pretty much set regardless of what you do, as the HR is much stronger in stock form if you decide to SC that.

Is that the most cost effective way to get hi-revving NA thrills? What about other cars like an E92 M3 or Z4M which already have these characteristics engineered into their design?

Z4M is a cracking car but im not keen on the styling, and the interior is horrid. Same with the M3, great car but a bit to golf club for my liking. Plus for the 17-18k mark id be looking at things like the e60 m5 or some sort of AMG merc. Pleanty of hot audi's in that range too. Plus i'd be like everyone else, i like to be different

Id love to see a proper all out NA DE build. Go for it man, 350+rwhp would be very useable on the road and ultra responsive.

Thats what im thinking. As much as i love big power its how you put it down that counts. and you cant beat N/A for that.

If your gonna build an NA VQ engine it won't lend itself to adding FI to later as you would want low comp for FI and Hi comp for NA - just a thought. :)

Only a complete prat would put 11:1 Hi comp pistons and a set of cams in a VQ35 engine then add an SC - imagine the detonation problems! :blush:

(But it still revs to 7,500 - you need to look at alternative oiling systems above that - the oiling system does not like going over that RPM as the pump is crank driven and it becomes a limiting factor)

• Like 1

If your gonna build an NA VQ engine it won't lend itself to adding FI to later as you would want low comp for FI and Hi comp for NA - just a thought. :)

Only a complete prat would put 11:1 Hi comp pistons and a set of cams in a VQ35 engine then add an SC - imagine the detonation problems! :blush:

(But it still revs to 7,500 - you need to look at alternative oiling systems above that - the oiling system does not like going over that RPM as the pump is crank driven and it becomes a limiting factor)

small turbos running 5-6PSI can run on 11:1 CR pistons, but i'd only use them for N/A. 8:1 comp pistons would lose me about 10% power but would allow me to go FI later. Dont think i could justify spending £20k on a 350z engine though. so probobly wont happen.