Would I be insured if..

Flex

Well this could be another classic thread or not as the case may be.

If I left my car at a garage to have work done and it was stolen and subsequently it turned out they didn't have insurance would my own fully comp insurance cover me or would it be a case of making claim against the garage?

Just out of interest really.

I think you can do both. You can claim off your insurance as vehicle being stolen and loose your ncb & have your insurance rocket up by so much that you can no longer afford to insure anything other than a Fiat Panda. Or, you can put a small claims case against the garage for your loss.

My mate left his 911 at a garage for a service, he was told 2 days as it needed a bit of work as well

the Official Receiver moved into the garage and they seized his car as an asset of the garage, took him

over 2 months to get it back, and then they tried to charge him £600 storage (and the work never got done)...WTF... :angry: :angry:

No claims protected though or is it different for a complete loss?

Your protected bonus will allow a certain amount of "fault" claims in a set space of time, this would be classed as a fault claim as their would be no third party to claim from (unless the garage had something in place).

Even with bonus protected the details of the claim would still show on your insurance and would still increase the premium, many people don't seem to realize that.

If protected NCB then you wouldnt loose that, but you`d still have to declare that you had made a claim and therefore the insurance company may well increase your premium as statistically if you have made a claim you are more likely to have another one (or some such thing).

Makes me think now though, next time i leave my car at a garage i will ask them if its insured!

If protected NCB then you wouldnt loose that, but you`d still have to declare that you had made a claim and therefore the insurance company may well increase your premium as statistically if you have made a claim you are more likely to have another one (or some such thing).

Makes me think now though, next time i leave my car at a garage i will ask them if its insured!

Yup spot on!

They also ask have you had "any losses" too, this means even if someone hit you and it wasn't your fault and it was settled off the record they would still want to know about it, this can increase the premium too. I work for a broker and if someone while in conversation mentions something in passing about any incident no matter how small, I need to note it on their policy and it can hike the premium and incur an admin fee for making the changes :surrender: