Software Licenses

Flex

I'm looking at buying a desktop for the office and there's a chap on ebay (business) that is selling a pretty good spec machine, it's a refurb.

It's got several pieces of software on there and he says the license for them has been paid by the company that originally had the machine, surely if I buy the comp for my business it wont be a valid license for me?

It depends on how the business pays for its licensing.

I'd be however very concerned over how he got the hardware as businesses would wipe the machines and destroy data before selling them on (if they even do sell on).

EDIT: wouldn't you destroy your data? And I don't mean just deleting "my documents"

Edited by Fodder

It depends on how the business pays for its licensing.

I'd be however very concerned over how he got the hardware as businesses would wipe the machines and destroy data before selling them on (if they even do sell on).

EDIT: wouldn't you destroy your data? And I don't mean just deleting "my documents"

+1, some companies ive worked for in the past have allowed employees to buy their old pc`s etc.. but in each case the company has securely wiped the hard drives before handing them over. Its then up to the employee to buy a windows license etc...

My current company is required by our clients to physically shred any hard drives we no longer use. So we securely wipe them, then a local company chucks them in an industrial shredder and issues us with an ISO doc saying what serial numbers were shredded etc.

Pretty much what I thought, I agree with everything said above. Cheers boyz.

I did actually hear if a h/w guy who sold old equipment as used but got found out as he never wiped them and on the custom login screen it had a help/security number.

he was found out as one of his "customers" called it asking how to logon the machine he had just bought.

What a couple of buffoons.:surrender::lol:

I know the above doesn't help you but I'd steer well clear

Edited by Fodder

Not you, the seller. it's like buying a car, if it's got an aftermarket exhaust, it comes with the car, its now yours. However like some places you don't keep the life time warranty.

Such as you won't get the license key, unless they give it to you.

Not you, the seller. it's like buying a car, if it's got an aftermarket exhaust, it comes with the car, its now yours. However like some places you don't keep the life time warranty.

Such as you won't get the license key, unless they give it to you.

Not true. You don't know the license agreement the business has.

I wouldn't touch as it sounds really dodgy

• Like 1

But the product is licensed and paid for (so to speak) So it's the company that is liable for looking after their stock. At least that's how I see it.

Either way, if it's a good spec and price, I'd just replace with my own HDD

Edited by grundy225

But the product is licensed and paid for (so to speak) So it's the company that is liable for looking after their stock. At least that's how I see it.

Either way, if it's a good spec and price, I'd just replace with my own HDD

No it's not. Heard of enterprise licensing? :shrug:

To be honest as I said I'd be more concerned over how the hardware was obtained. That's just my opinion.

EDIT: I meant to say not necessarily re the license :)

Edited by Fodder

You'll have to check the EULA, it may not be transferable. If it's come from a decent size company won't MS products in particular have been covered by a Volume License? I'd assume these are invalid for individual machines once they come out of the company.

I bet you could extract the licence key with some freeware off the web and then reinstall post wipe. However, they may be encrypted in the registry. I'm sure I found an old windows product key from a Win XP install, but technology has moved on.

Edited by SuperStu